About the Journal
FUNDAMENTALS FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A LOW-ACTIVATION LEAD COOLANT WITH ISOTOPIC ENRICHMENT FOR ADVANCED NUCLEAR POWER FACILITIES
Authors & Affiliations
Khorasanov G.L., Blokhin A.I.
State Scientific Centre - A.I. Leipunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
The purpose of this paper is to study the prospects of new coolants for fast reactors and accelerator driven systems. The main focus is on their improvement using the isotopic tailoring technique to reduce post-irradiation activity. Calculations using the FISPACT-3 code show that irradiating natural lead (Pb-nat) for 30 years leads to the accumulation of long-lived toxic radionuclides, 207Bi, 208Bi and 210Pb, which extends the cooling down period to the clearance level. This time can be shortened by using the lead isotope 206Pb instead of Pb-nat. This substantially decreases the concentration of the most toxic polonium isotope, 210Po. Calculations for lead activation in the hard proton-neutron ADS spectrum were performed using the CASCADE/SNT code. The time-dependent activity of the 207Bi produced in Pb-nat and 206Pb after irradiation for one year with a proton beam having an energy of 0.8 GeV and a current of 30 mA is given. The activity of 207Bi is decreased by four orders of magnitude when 206Pb is used instead of natural lead as a coolant for ADS targets. The production of such radiotoxic nuclides as 210Po is also substantially diminished.
Pb–208, toxic radionuclides, 207Bi, 208Bi, 210Pb, 210Po, post-irradiation activity, Pb isotopes, Pb-206, coolants, ADS targets
1. Strategy for the development of Russia s nuclear power industry in the first half of the 21st century. Bulletin of the Public Information Centre, Central Research Institute of Management, Economics and Information, Moscow, 2000, No. 6, pp. 4-7 [in Russian].
2. Usanov V.I. et al., Dolgozhivushchie radionuklidy natrievogo, svintsovo-vismutovogo: svintsovogo teplonositelei v bystrykh reaktorakh. Atomnaya ehnergiya, 1999, v. 87, No. 3, pp. 204-210.
3. Golovin IN., Kadomtsev B.B., Sostoyanyie i perespektivy upravlyaemogo termoyadernogo sinteza. Atomnaya ehnergiya, 1996, v. 81, No. 5, pp. 364-372.
4. Lyakishev N.P. et al., Prospect of development and manufacturing of low activation metallic materials for fusion reactor. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 1996, v. 233-237, pp. 1516-1522.
5. Apseh V.A. et al., Otsenka snizheniya aktivatsii tsirkoniya v legkovodnykh reaktorakh putem izmeneniya ego nachal'nogo izotopnogo sostava. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya ehnergetika, 1997, No. 5, pp. 30-35.
6. Shmelev AN. et al., Bezopasnost' bystrogo reaktora-vyzhigatelya dolgozhivushchikh aktinoidov, izvlechyonnykh iz radioaktivnykh okthodov. Atomnaya ehnergiya, 1992, v. 73, pp. 450-454.
7. Khorasanov G.L. et al., Lead and tin targets for reducing polonium waste. In: Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Accelerator Driven Transmutation Technology and App.lications ADTTA '99, June 7-11, 1999, Prague, Czech Republic, Paper #Tu-0-E8.
8. Khorasanov G.L. et al., Low-activation materials with isotopic tailoring for future Npp.s. In: Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Future Nuclear Systems GLOBAL '99, Aug. 29-Sept. 2, 1999, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, USA, Paper #345.
9. Khorasanov G.L. et al., Bi-207 accumulation problem in lead targets for ADS. In: Proceedings of the Int. Conf. on Accelerator Breeder Systems and Advanced Nuclear Power Industry, 12-14 October, 1999, Moscow, Institute for Theoretical and Experimental Physics, pp. 200-203 [in Russian].
10. Khorasanov G.L. et al., Low-activation coolant based on the lead-206 isotope for advanced accelerator breeders. In: Proceedings of the 4th All-Russia (International) Scientific Conference "Physical and chemical processes for the selection of atoms and molecules", 4-8 October, 1999, Zvenigorod, Moscow: Central Research Institute of Management, Economics, 1999, pp. 262-267 [in Russian].
11. Khorasanov G.L. et al., High-enriched lead-206 for small nuclear power industry. In: Proceedings of the 5th All-Russia (International) Science Conference "Physical and chemical processes for selection of atoms and molecules", 2-6 October, 2000, Zvenigorod; Moscow: Central Research Institute of Management, Economics and Information, pp. 186-189 [in Russian].
12. Khorasanov G.L. et al., Molten lead enriched with isotope Pb-206 as a low-activation coolant for emerging nuclear power systems. In: Proceedings of the 8th Int. Conf. on Nuclear Engineering ICONE-8, April 2-6, 2000, Baltimore, Maryland, Paper #ICONE 8385.
13. Khorasanov G.L. et al., High enriched lead-206 for small nuclear power plants. In: Proc. of the 9th Int. Conf. on Nuclear Engineering ICONE-9, April 8-12, 2001, Nice, France, Paper #359.
14. Forrest R.A., Sublet J-Ch., FISPACT-3 user manual. Report AEA/FUS/227, 1993.
15. Sublet J-Ch., Kopecky J. and Forrest R.A., The European Activation File: EAF-99 cross section library. EASY Documentation Series UKAEA FUS 408 (1999). EURATOM/UKAEA Fusion Association, Culham Science Centre, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 3DB, UK.
16. Forrest R.A., Sublet J-Ch., The European Activation File: EAF-99 decay data library. EASY Documentation Series UKAEA FUS 409 (1999). EURATOM/UKAEA Fusion Association, Culham Science Centre, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 3DB, UK.
17. Pashchenko A.B., Summary report on the IAEA advisory group meeting on completion of FENDL-1 and start of FENDL-2, Del-Mar, USA, 1995. Report IAEA/INDC(NDS)-352, 1996.
18. Grudzevich O.T. et al., ADL-3 library catalogue. Voprosy atomnojnauki i tekhniki. Ser.: Yadernye konstanty, 1993, No. 3-4, pp. 3-180.
19. Table of simple integral neutron cross section data from JEF-2.2, ENDF/B-VI, JENDL-3.2, BROND-2 and CENDL-2. JEF Report 14, NEA OECD, Paris, France, 1994, p. 235.
20. Golashvili T.V. et al., Handbook on nuclides. Moscow, Central Research Institute of Management, Economics and Information, 1995, p. 440 [in Russian].
21. Radiation Safety Standards (NRB-96). Hygiene regulations. Moscow, Information and Publishing Centre of the State Committee of the Russian Federation for Epidemiology Control, 1996, p. 127 [in Russian].
22. Orlov V.V. et al., Deterministic safety of BREST reactors. In collected papers: Heavy liquid metal coolants in nuclear technologies, Obninsk. Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, National Research Centre of the Russian Federation, 1999, vol. 2, pp. 440-449.
23. Korovin U.A. et al., Programma dlya rascheta izotopnogo sostava i navedennoi aktivnosti obluchennykh materialov. Voprosy atomnoj nauki i tekhiki. Sen: Yadernye konstanty, 1992, No. 3-4, pp. 117-121.
24. Grigor'ev O.G. et al., Demand for bismuth in serial use of the SVBR-75 nuclear facility to solve different tasks. In collected papers: Heavy liquid metal coolants in nuclear technology, Obninsk: Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, National Research Centre of the Russian Federation, 1999, v. 2, pp. 556-563.
25. The NEA Co-operative Program on Decommissioning. OECD, Paris, 1996.