About the Journal
EFFECTIVE REACTION CROSS-SECTIONS FOR Be-7 PRODUCTION BY INTERACTION OF FAST NEUTRONS IN AN ACCELERATOR-DRIVEN SYSTEM WITH LIGHT NUCLEI
Authors & Affiliations
Buttsev V.S.1, Korbut T.N.2, Korneev S.V.3, Martsynkevich B.A.2,
Khilmanovich A.M.2, Chigrinov S.E.3, Chultem D.1
1Joint Institute for Nuclear Research, Dubna, Russia
2B.I. Stepanov Institute of Physics, Belarus National Academy of Sciences, Minsk, Belarus
3Sosny Joint Institute for Energy and Nuclear Research, Belarus National Academy of Sciences, Minsk, Belarus
The measurement of effective reaction cross-sections for 74Be production by irradiation of light nuclei (C, O, F, Na, Cl, K) with fast neutrons from the interaction of 660 MeV protons with a thick lead target is described. The experiment was conducted on the proton accelerator at the Nuclear Problems Laboratory (JINR, Dubna). Measurements of the neutron flux density and the 74Be production rate were performed using the activation method. Cross-sections of 74Be production decrease from 0.01 barns for carbon to 0.00005 barns for potassium. The model of nuclear reactions of ~20-50 MeV neutrons with light nuclei taking into account the effective potential barrier for 74Be was used. In general, the model correctly reproduces the measured values.
cross section 7Be, fast neutrons, phasotron, activation technique, potential barrier
1. Vasil'kov, R.G., Gol'danskij, V.I., Dzhelepov, V.P., Dmitrievskij, V.P., The accelerator-driven method of neutron generation, Atomnaya energiya, 1970, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 151-158 [in Russian].
2. Accelerator driven systems: Energy generation and transmutation of nuclearwaste. Statua report. IAEA-TECDOC-985. November, 1997.
3. K. Furukawa, S.Chigrinov, Y.Kato,K. Mitachi. Accelerator Molten—Salt Breeding power Reactor Usefull for Puburning and 233U-production. Seventh International Conference On Emerging Nuclear Systems, ICENES’93 , 1993, p. 429-433.
4. C.Rubbia, J.A.Rubio, S.Buono et al. Accelerator driven systems: Energy generation and transmutation of nuclear waste. Status report. IAEA-TECDOC-985. November, 1997. P. 187-312.
5. Buttsev, V.S., Buttseva, G.L., Dudarev, S.Yu. et al., Experimental determination of the effective reaction cross-section value for 7Be production by interaction of fast neutrons and water, JINR Preprint R1-2001-167, Dubna, 2001 [in Russian].
6. Martsynkevich, B.A., Khilmanovich, A.M., Korneev, S.V., et al., Reconstruction of fast neutron spectra over a wide energy range (up to 200 MeV) in the subcritical uranium-lead assembly of the Energy Plus Transmutation accelerator-driven system, JINR Preprint R1-2002-65, Dubna, 2002 [in Russian].
7. J.F.Briesmeister. MCNP – A general purpose N-particle transport code, version 4B. Report LA-12625-M. Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1997.
8. T.Nakamura et al. Proceedings of the Second Specialists Meeting on High Energy Nuclear Data (January 26 – 27, 1995, JAERI, Tokai, Japan). Eds. T.Fukahori and N.Kishida.
9. Barashenkov, V.S., Cross-sections for the interaction of particles and nuclei with nuclei, Dubna, JINR, 1993, 346 p [in Russian].
10. Davydov, A.S., Theory of the atomic nucleus, Moscow, Gosizdat fiz.-mat. lit., 1958, 484 p [in Russian].
Neudach, V.G., Smirnov, Yu.F., Nucleon associations in light nuclei, Izdatel'stvo Nauka, Moscow, 1969, 414 p, [in Russian].