About the Journal
PECULIARITIES OF THE D+T NEUTRON SPECTRUM FOR THICK TARGETS
Authors & Affiliations
State Scientific Centre — A.I. Leipunsky Institute of Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
The energy and angular distributions of neutrons emitted from a thick target in the reaction 3H(d, n)4He were calculated using the Monte Carlo method based on the SRIM code. The first moments of the spectrum, namely mean neutron energy, energy spread and neutron yield, were determined at deuteron energies below 500 keV. The effect of the composition of the tritium target on the neutron spectrum was determined. The results obtained were compared with the available data.
energy distribution of neutrons, the angular distribution of the neutron, deuterons transport in thick target, neutron spectrum
1. Vlasov, N.A., Nejtrony [Neutrons]. Moscow: Nauka, GRFML, 1971. 2nd edition, chapter 2.
2. J. Csikai, Zs. Lantos, and Cs.M. Buczkö. In: Properties of Neutron Sources. IAEA-TECDOC-410, IAEA, Vienna, 1987, pp 296–301.
3. S.P. Simakov and F. Käppeler. Neutron Sources Spectra for EXFOR. INDC(NDS)-0590, IAEA, Vienna, 2011, p.55.
4. V.M. Piksaikin, V.S. Shorin, and R.G. Tertytchnyi. Fission Rate Determination in Delayed Neutron Emission Measurements with T(p,n) and D(d,n) Neutrons. INDC(CCP)-422, IAEA, Vienna, 1999.
5. A. Milocco and A. Trkov. Modelling of the Production of Source Neutrons from Low-Voltage Accelerated Deuterons on Titanium-Tritium Targets. Science and Technology of Nuclear Installations (Hindawi Publ. Corp.), v. 2008, Article ID 340282, pp 1–7.
6. J.F. Ziegler, M.D. Ziegler and J.P. Biersack. SRIM—The Stopping and Range of Ions in Solids. Nucl. Instr. and Meth., B268, 1818–1823 (2010).
7. G. Audi and A.H. Wapstra. "The 1993 Atomic Mass evaluation", Nucl. Phys., A565, 1993, p.1.
8. M. Drosg and O. Schwerer. In: Handbook on Nuclear Activation Data. Tech. rep. 273, IAEA, Vienna, 1987, p.83.