Authors & Affiliations
Hansen Luisa F.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, USA
The requirements to carry out accurate shielding calculations involved with the safe off-site transportation of packages containing nuclear warhead components, special assemblies and radioactive materials are discussed. The need for: a) detailed information on the geometry and material composition of the packaging and radioactive load, b) accurate representation of the differential energy spectra (dN/dE) for the neutron and gamma spectra emitted by the radioactive materials enclosed in the packaging, c) well-tested neutron and photon cross section libraries, d) and accurate three-dimensional Monte Carlo transport codes are illustrated. A brief discussion of the need for reliable dose measurements is presented.
radiation protection, components of nuclear warheads, transportation of container, library of neutron and photon cross sections, three-dimensional Monte Carlo code
Article Text (PDF, in English)
1. United States Department of Energy, DOE Order 5610.12 (Draft). Packaging and Offsite Transportation of Components, Special Assemblies and Radioactive Materials associated with the Nuclear Weapons Program, Washington, DC (June 5, 1990).
2. Office of the Federal Register, National Archivesand Records Administration (Propose Rule). Packaging and Transportation of Radioactive Materials, Code of Federal Regulations. Title lO. Part 71, (Federal Register, Vol. 53, No. 110, p21556), Washington,DC (June 8, 1988).
3. Office of the Federal Register, National Archivesand Records Administration (Propose Rule), Shippers General Requirements for Shipment and Packaging, Subpart I – Radioactive Material, Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173, (Federal Register,Vol. 54, No 218, p 47464), Washington, DC (Draft June 5, 1990).
4. Design Guide for Packaging and Off-Site Transportation of Nuclear Compounds, Special Assemblies, and Radioactive Materials. Associated with the Nuclear Explosives and Weapon Safety Program, DOE ALSD5670.12, SG100 Rev. 0, March 2, 1994.
5. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commissions, Proposed Revision 2 to Regulatory Guide 7.9: Standard Format and Content of Part 71 Applications for Approval of Packaging of Radioactive Material, US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Office of Standards Development, Washington DC, May 1988.
6. International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA Safety Series No. 6, Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials, (1985 edition), Vienna (1988).
7. O.W. Hermann and R. M. Westfall, Scale System Module to Calculate Fuel Depletion, Actinide Transmutation, Fission Product Buildup and Decay, and Associated Radiation Source Terms, Scale-4, Vol. II. Part I. Chapter 7, CCC-545, Radiation Shielding Information Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, O.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6362 (1990).
8. MCNP4A General Monte Carlo Code for Neutron and Photon Transport, Version 4A,LA-7389- M Rev. 2, Los Alamos National Laboratory, December 1993.
9. E.F. Plechaty and J. R. Kimlinger, TARTNP: A Coupled Neutron-Photon Monte Carlo Transport Code, UCRL-50400, Vol. 14, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (1976).
10. T.P. Wilcox, Jr. and E.M. Lent, COG-A ParticleTransport Code Designed to Solve the Bolzmann Equation for Deep-Penetration (Shielding) Problems, M-221-1, LLNL, February 1989.
11. J.T. West, T.J. Hoffman, and M.B. Emrnent, MORSE-SGC/S for the Scale System,Scale-4, Vol. II. Part I. Chapter 9. CCC-545, Radiation Shielding Information Center,Oak Ridge National Laboratory, P.O. Box 2008, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6362 (1990).
12. MCNP: Photon Benchmark Problems, LA-12196. UC-705, September 1991. MCNP: Neutron Benchmark Problems, LA-12212. UC-705and UC-704. November 1991.
13. ENDF/B Summary Documentation, ENDF-201, NNDC, BNL, Version V (1987) and Version VI (1990).
14. ENDL, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) Evaluated Nuclear Data Library, UCRL-50400, Vol. 15, Parts A to E, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, April 1, Version 1988.
15. American National Standard Institute ANSVANS-6.1.1, January 1977.
Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Constants, issue 1, 1997