Authors & Affiliations
Piksaikin V.M., Kazakov L.E., Isaev S.G., Korolev G.G., Roshchenko V.A., Goverdovski A.A., Tertychnyj R.G.
State Scientific Centre - A.I. Leipunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
The measurements of the total delayed neutron yield from fast neutron induced fission of 238U were made. The experimental method based on the periodic irradiation of the fissionable sample by neutrons from a suitable nuclear reaction had been employed. The preliminary results on the energy dependence of the total delayed neutron yield from fission of 238U are obtained. According to the comparison of experimental data with our prediction based on correlation properties of delayed neutron characteristics, it is concluded that the value of the total delayed neutron yield near the threshold of (n,f) reaction is not a constant.
total delayed neutron yield, U-238, fast neutron, neutron induced fission, threshold of (n,f)
Article Text (PDF, Translated by IAEA)
1. Isaev S.G., Piksaikin V.M., Kazakov L.E., Goverdovski A.A. “Systematics of the delayed neutron characteristics and validation of the delayed neutron data base obtained in the microscopic approach.” Proceedings of the 8-th International Seminar on Interaction of Neutrons with Nuclei, JINR, Dubna, 2000, p.306.
2. Spriggs G.D. Nucl.Sci.Eng., v.114, p.342., 1993.
3. Tuttle R.J. Report INDC(NDS) – 107/G. Proceedings of the Consultants’ meeting on Delayed Neutron Properties, Vienna, IAEA, 1979, p.29.
4. Blachot J., Brady M.C., Filip A., Mills R.W. and Weaver D.R. “Status of Delayed Neutron Data – 1990”, Report NEACRP-L-323 NEANDC-299”U”, Committee on Reactor Physics and Nuclear data Committee, Nuclear Energy Agency, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, 1990.
5. Fort E., Zammit-Averlant V., Salvatores M., Filip A., “Recommended values of the delayed neutron yield for U-235, U-238, and Pu-239”. Status report of the WPEC Subgroup 6 (SG6) activities (editor A. D’Angelo), OECD, NEA/NSC, 2000.
6. Piksaikin, V.M., Balakshev, Yu.F., Isaev, S.G. et al., Measurements of the energy dependence of the relative yields of delayed neutrons and the half-lives of their precursors during 237Np fast neutron fission, Atomnaya ehnergiya, 1998, v. 85, No. 1, p. 51.
7. Piksaikin V.M., Isaev S.G., at al., “Absolute calibration of neutron detector with 252Cf neutron source, Monte Carlo calculations and activation technique”. Proc. of Int. Conf. on Nuclear Data for Science and Technology, Triest (19-24 May, 1997), p.646.
8. Piksaikin V.M., Shorin V.S., Tertytchnyi R.G., “Fission rate determination in delayed neutron emission measurements with T(p,n) and D(d,n) neutrons”. Proc. of XIV-th Int. Workshop on Nuclear Fission Physics, 12-15 October, 1998, pp.265-275.
9. Krick M.S. and Evans A.E. Nucl. Sci. Eng., v.47, p.311, 1972.
10. Cox S.A., Whiting D.E.E., Report ANL-7610, 1970, p.45, Данные приведены в работе Tuttle R.J. Nuclear Science and Engineering, v.56, p.37, 1975.
11. Cox S.A., “Delayed neutron data – review and evaluation”, ANL/NDM-5, Argonne National Laboratory, 1974, Данные взяты из R, J. Tuttle, “Delayed neutron yields in nuclear fission”. Proc. of the Consultants’ Meeting on Delayed neutron Properties, p.29, Vienna, 26-30 March 1979.
Maksyutenko, B.P., Atomnaya ehnergiya, 1959, v. 7, p. 474.
13. Piksaikin V.M., Isaev S.G. “Correlation properties of delayed neutrons from fast neutron induced fission”. Report INDC(CCP)-415, October 1998, IAEA, Vienna, Austrian, P.1.
14. Isaev S.G., Piksaikin V.M., Kazakov L.E., Tarasko M.Z., “Energy dependence of average half-life of delayed neutron precursors in fast neutron induced fission of 235U and 236U”. Proc. of XIV-th Int. Workshop on Nuclear Fission Physics, 12-15 October, 1998, pp. 257-264.
15. Lendel, A.I., Marinets, T.I., Sikora, D.I., Charnovich, E.I., Determination of delayed neutron yields using polyempirical formulas, Atomnaya ehnergiya,1986, v. 61, No. 3.
16. Rose H., Smith R.D., - J. Nucl. Energy, v.1, p.133, 1957.
17. Brunson G.S., Petit E.N., and McCurdy, “Measurement of delayed neutron yields in plutonium, uranium-233, uranium-238, and thorium relative to yield in uranium-235”, ANL – 5480, Argonne National Laboratory, 1955.
18. Besant S.B. at al. J. Br. Nucl. Energy, v.16, p.161, 1977.
19. Keepin G.R. at al. J. Nucl. Energy, v.6, p.1, 1957; also, Phys. Rev., v.107, p.1044, 1957.
20. Clifford, D.A., PhD thesis, Imperial College, London, 1972, data taken from Tuttle, R.J., Delayed neutron yields in nuclear fission, Proc. of the Consultants’ Meeting on Delayed Neutron Properties, Vienna, 26-30 March 1979, p. 29.
21. Masters C.F. at al. Nucl. Sci. Eng., v.36, p.202, 1969.
Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Constants", issue 1, 2001