Authors & Affiliations
Deev V.I.1, Kharitonov V.S.1, Mushtakov D.N.1, Churkin A.N.2
1National Research Nuclear University "MEPhI" Moscow, Russia
2OKB "GIDROPRESS", Podolsk, Russia
The prospects for the use of SCP water in nuclear power engineering with the specific requirements of the reliability of the core cooling of nuclear reactors caused an increased interest in research related to the improvement and development of new methods for heat transfer calculation in supercritical water. The analysis of the dependence for heat transfer calculation for SCP water flow in vertical pipes, acquired by the authors, was implemented in this study. The comparative assessment of the formula, proposed by the authors, with the computational dependences, which had been acquired before by other authors, was also performed. On the whole, the array of experimental data totaled to over 4000 experimental points of 20 original works. The evaluation covers the following range of geometrical and operational parameters, such as the inner pipes diameter d=(2,5–32) mm; water pressure p=(22,5–39,2) MPa; mass velocity and enthalpy of the fluid flow, respectively, G=(193–3600) kg/(m2·sec), hb = (120–3263) kJ/kg; heat flux density on a pipe wall surface q=(101–3460) kW/m2. By way of comparison with a large set of experimental data, it is shown that new equation provides the best agreement of the computational and experimental results in a wide range of parameters defining the heat transfer in water near the critical point.
nuclear reactor, heat transfer, supercritical parameters, critical point
1. Shitsman M.E. Impairment of the heat transmission at supercritical pressures. High Temperature. 1963, 1 (2), pp. 237–244.
2. Bishop A.A., Sandberg R.G., Tong L.S. Forced convection heat transfer to water at near-critical temperatures and supercritical pressures. Report WCAP-2056 Part IV, Westinghouse Electric Corporation, Atomic Power Division, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. November 1964.
3. Swenson H.S., J.R. Carver, C.R. Kakarala, Heat transfer to supercritical water in smooth-bore tubes. Journal of Heat Transfer, Transactions of the ASME. 1965. Series C 87 (4), pp. 477–483.
4. Vihrev Ju.V., Barulin Ju.D., Kon'kov A.S. Issledovanie teploobmena v vertikal'nyh trubah prisverhkriticheskih davlenijah. Teplojenergetika. 1967, no. 9, pp. 80–82.
5. Shitsman M.E. Temperature conditions in tubes at supercritical pressures. Thermal Engineering. 1968. 15 (5), pp. 72–77.
6. Alferov N.S., Rybin R.A., Balunov B.F. Heat transfer with turbulent water flow in a vertical tube under conditions of appreciable influence of free convection. Thermal Engineering. 1969, 16 (12), pp. 90-95.
7. Ackerman J.W. Pseudoboiling heat transfer to supercritical pressure water in smooth and ribbed tubes. Journal of Heat Transfer, Transactions of the ASME. 1970, 92 (3), pp. 490-498.
8. Belyakov I.I., Krasyakova L.Yu., Zhukovskii A.V., Fefelova N.D. Heat transfer in vertical risers and horizontal tubes at supercritical pressure. Thermal Engineering. 1971, 18 (11), pp. 55-59.
9. Ornatskiy A.P., Glushchenko L.F., Kalachev S.I. Heat transfer with rising and falling flows of wa-ter in tubes of small diameter at supercritical pressures. Thermal Engineering. 1971, 18 (5), pp. 137-141.
10. Glushchenko L.F., Kalachev S.I., Gandzyuk O.F. Determining the conditions of existence of deteriorated heat transfer at supercritical pressures of the medium. Thermal Engineering. 1972, 19 (2), pp. 107-111.
11. Yamagata K., Nishikawa K., Hasegawa S., Fudjii T., Yoshida S. Forced convective heat transfer to supercritical water flowing in tubes. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1972, 15 (12), pp. 2575-2593.
12. Alferov N.S., Balunov B.F., Rybin R.A. Calculating heat transfer with mixed convection. Thermal Engineering. 1975, 22 (6), pp. 96-100.
13. Alekseev G.V., Silin V.A., Smirnov A.M., Subbotin V.I. Study of the thermal conditions on the wall of a pipe during the removal of heat by water at a supercritical pressure. High Temperatures. 1976, 14 (4), pp. 683-687.
14. Ishigai S., Kadgi M., Nakamoto M. Heat transfer and friction for water flow in tubes at supercritical pressures. Proceedings of the 5th All-Union Conference on Heat Mass Transfer. Minsk, Belarus’, May 1976. Heat-Mass-Transfer-V, Minsk, 1976, v.1, part 1, pp. 261-269 (in Russian).
15. Krasyakova L.Yu., Belyakov I.I., Fefelova N.D. Heat transfer with a downward flow of water at supercritical pressure. Thermal Engineering. 1977, 24 (1), pp. 9-14.
16. Watts M.J., Chou C.T. Mixed convection heat transfer to supercritical pressure water. Proceed-ings of the 7th International Heat Transfer Conference, München, Germany, 6–10 September 1982. Hemisphere, Washington, 1982, v.3, pp. 495-500, paper MC16.
17. Petukhov B.S. Heat transfer in a single-phase medium under supercritical conditions (survey). High Temperature. 1968, 6 (4), pp. 696-709.
18. Hall W.B., Jackson J.D. Heat transfer near the critical point. Proceedings of the 6th International Heat Transfer Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 7–11 August 1978. Ottawa, 1978, v.6, pp. 377-392, keynote lecture KS-27.
19. Kurganov V.A., Zeigarnik Yu.A., Maslakova I.V. Heat transfer and hydraulic resistance of supercritical-pressure coolants. Part I: Specifics of thermophysical properties of supercritical pressure fluids and turbulent heat transfer under heating conditions in round tubes (state of the art). International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2012, 55, pp. 3061-3075.
20. Kurganov V.A., Zeigarnik Yu.A., Maslakova I.V. Heat transfer and hydraulic resistance of supercritical-pressure coolants. Part II: Experimental data on hydraulic resistance and averaged turbulent flow structure of supercritical pressure fluids during heating in round tubes under normal and deteriorated heat transfer conditions. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2013, 58, pp. 152-167.
21. Kurganov V.A., Zeigarnik Yu.A., Maslakova I.V. Heat transfer and hydraulic resistance of super-critical pressure coolants. Part III: Generalized description of SCP fluids normal heat transfer, empirical calculating correlations, integral method of theoretical calculations. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2013, 67, pp. 535-547.
22. Miropol'skij Z.L., Shicman M.E. Teplootdacha k vode i paru pri peremennoj teploemkosti (v okolokriticheskoj oblasti). ZhTF. 1957, v. 27, no. 10, pp. 2359-2372.
23. Krasnoshchekov E.A., Protopopov V.S. Experimental study of heat exchange in carbon dioxide in the supercritical range at high temperature drops. High Temperature. 1966, 4 (3), pp. 375-382.
24. Petukhov B.S., Kurganov V.A., Ankudinov V.B. Heat transfer and flow resistance in the turbulent pipe flow of a fluid with near-critical state parameters. High Temperature. 1983, 21 (1), pp.81-89.
25. Pioro I.L., Duffey R.B. Heat Transfer and Hydraulic Resistance at Supercritical Pressures in Power Engineering Applications. New York: ASME Press. 2007, 334 p.
26. Aleksandrov A.A., Grigor'ev B.A. Tablicy teplofizicheskih svojstv vody i vodjanogo para. 2_e izd. M.: Izd. dom MJeI, 2006.
27. Kirillov P., Pomet’ko R., Smirnov A., Grabezhnaia V., Pioro I., Duffey R., Khartabil H. Experi-mental study on heat transfer to supercritical water flowing in 1- and 4-m-long vertical tubes. Proceedings of the International Conference GLOBAL-2005 “Nuclear Energy Systems for Future Generation and Global Sustainability”, Tsukuba, Japan, 9–13 October 2005. Paper 518.
28. Pis’menny E., Razumovskiy V., Maevskiy E., Koloskov A., Pioro I., Duffey R. Experimental study on temperature regimes to supercritical water flowing in vertical tubes at significant impact of free convection. Proceedings of the International Conference GLOBAL-2005 “Nuclear Energy Systems for Future Generation and Global Sustainability”, Tsukuba, Japan, 9–13 October 2005. Paper 519.
29. Yongliang Li, Zhigang Huang, Xiaokang Zeng. Xiao Yan, Yangping Huang, Zejun Xiao. Experi-mental research on heat transfer of supercritical water upflowing in vertical tube. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-5), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 13 16 March 2011. Paper 21.
30. Hong-bo Li, Jue Yang, Xian-gang Fu, Dong-hua Lu, Fei Wang, Jian-min Zhang, Yong Zhang. Re-search and development of supercritical water-cooled reactor in CGNPC. Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-6), Shenzhen, Guangdong, China, 03 07 March 2013. Paper 13078.
31. Cheng X., Yang Y.H., Huang S.F. A simplified method for heat transfer prediction of supercritical fluids in circular tubes. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2009, 36, pp. 1120-1128.
32. Mokry S., Pioro I., Farah A., King K., Gupta S., Peiman W., Kirillov P. Development of super-critical water heat-transfer correlation for vertical bare tubes. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2011, 241, pp. 1126-1136.
33. Mokry S., Farah A., King K., Pioro I. Updated heat-transfer correlations for supercritical water-cooled reactor applications. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-5), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 13 16 March 2011. Paper 92.
34. Zahlan H., Groeneveld D.C., Tavoularis S., Mokry S., Pioro I. Assessment of supercritical heat transfer prediction methods. Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-5), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 13 16 March 2011. Paper 8.
35. Churkin A.N., Deev V.I. Ambiguity of calculation results of heat transfer to water using empirical correlations in the region of supercritical pressure. Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR-6), Shenzhen, Guangdong, China, 03 07 March 2013. Paper 13057.
36. Deev V.I., Haritonov V.S., Churkin A.N., Arhipov V.V. Uchet peremennosti teplofizicheskih svojstv teplonositelja v uravnenii teplootdachi k vynuzhdennomu potoku vody sverhkriticheskogo davlenija. Vestnik nacional'nogo issledovatel'skogo jadernogo universiteta “MIFI”. 2014, v. 3, no. 3, pp. 353-361.
37. Deev V.I., Kucenko K.V., Lavruhin A.A. i dr. Modelirovanie teploobmena v vode sverhkritich-eskogo davlenija s pomoshh'ju drugih sred. Atomnaja jenergija. 2013, v. 115, no. 4, pp. 217-222.
38. McAdams W.H. Heat Transmission. Third ed. New York: McGraw-Hill. 1954, 532 p.