Authors & Affiliations
Ovcharenko M.K., Pyshko A.P., Plotnikov A.Yu., Krotov A.D., Alekseev P.A., Khoromsky V.A.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power, Obninsk, Russia
The issue of spent nuclear fuel management is currently one of the major problems in nuclear power. In particular, the problem consists in accumulation of materials containing transuranium elements, such as americium, neptunium, curium, etc. A possible solution of this problem may be in the process of these elements burnup (transmutation) by means of their irradiation with a fast neutron flux. Due to that, long-lived elements are transformed into stable or short-lived ones. Accelerator-driven subcritical blankets have been lately considered as “burners” for transuranium elements. A target made of the material with high atomic weight serves as a neutron source in these systems and it is irradiated with a proton beam shaped by the charged particle accelerator. In the target the (p,n)-reaction takes place, generated neutrons multiply on the blanket fissile materials and burn the required elements. This paper considers an accelerator-driven subcritical blanket with molten salt fuel and modular core configuration. The presented accelerator-driven subcritical blanket with molten salt fuel and modular core configuration complies with the research subcritical system in terms of both neutronic processes and technological issues. The achievable power parameters and neutron spectra allow long-lived radioactive elements to be burned. The modular core configuration provides safe reactor operation and the possibility to perform neutronic, material-research and other experimental studies with the aim to develop and master molten salt reactor technologies.
Accelerator-driven subcritical blanket, modular core configuration, molten salt fuel, transuranium elements, transmutation, neutronic characteristics, fast neutron flux
1. Gerasimov A.S., Kiselev G.V. Nauchno-tekhnicheskie problemy sozdaniya elektroyadernykh ustanovok dlya transmutacii dolgozhivushhikh radioaktivnykh othodov i odnovremennogo proizvodstva energii (rossijskij opyt) [Scientific and Technical Problems in Developing Accelerator-Driven Systems for Transmutation of Long-Lived Radioactive Waste and Concurrent Energy Generation (Russian Experience)]. Fizika elementarnykh chastic i atomnogo yadra - Physics of Elementary Particles and Atomic Nuclei. 2001, no.1, pp. 143-188.
2. Ignat'ev V.V. Sozdanie eksperimental'nykh ustanovok i bazy dannykh dlya vybora i usovershenstvovaniya zhidkosolevykh toplivnykh kompozicij i teplonositelej v yadernykh reaktorakh. Diss. dokt. tech. nauk [Development of experimental systems and database for selection and upgrading of molten salt fuel compositions and coolants in nuclear reactors. Dr. tech. sci. diss.]. Moscow, 2007. 45 p.
3. Voloshhenko A.M. Vychislitel'nye vozmozhnosti paketa programm ROZ-6.5/KASKAD-S-2.0/KATRIN-1.0 dlya resheniya stacionarnogo uravneniya perenosa nejtronov, fotonov i zaryazhennogo izlucheniya metodom diskretnykh ordinat v ID, 2D i 3D geometriyakh [Computational Capabilities of the ROZ-6.5/KASKAD-S-2.0/KATRIN-1.0 Software Package to Solve the Steady-State Equation of Neutron, Photon and Charged Particle Radiation Transfer by the Discrete-Ordinates Method in 1D, 2D and 3D Geometries]. Trudy 8 Rossijskoj nauchnoj konferencii «Radiacionnaya zashhita i radiacionnaya bezopasnost' v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh» [Proc. 8th Rus. Sci. Conf. “Radiation Protection and Radiation Safety in Nuclear Technologies”]. Obninsk, 2002, pp. 30-33.
4. Dubinin A.A., Pyshko A.P.,. Frolov O.V. Obnovlenie bazy nejtronno-fizicheskikh dannykh programmnogo kompleksa «KAMOD» dlya resheniya zadach radiacionnoj bezopasnosti YaYeU [Updating of the Neutronic Database for the “KAMOD” Software Package to Solve the NPS Radiation Safety Tasks]. Trudy 9 Rossijskoj nauchnoj konferencii «Radiacionnaya zashhita i radiacionnaya bezopasnost' v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh» [Proc. 9th Rus. Sci. Conf. “Radiation Protection and Radiation Safety in Nuclear Technologies”]. Obninsk, 2006, pp. 81-83.
5. Denise B. Pelowitz. MCNPX User’s ManualVersion 2.6.0, April 2008 LA-CP-07-1473.