Authors & Affiliations
Chen X.-N., Li R., Rineiski A.
Institute for Nuclear and Energy Technologies (IKET), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Karlsruhe, Germany
This paper gives first a short review of blockage accident investigations in heavy liquid metal cooled reactors carried out in the past in the transmutation group at KIT and then surveys the possibility of the subchannel flow simulation by SIMMER-III. A macroscopic differential model of the rod bundle flow is set up and implemented in SIMMER-III. A steady state of subchannel flow, which is approximately axially symmetric, but significantly non-uniform in the radial direction, is investigated and compared with a subchannel code. Finally the subchannel blockage initiating from the central channels is considered and simulated. The scenario of the pin failure and fuel swept-out is expected, but it takes place by only 50% area blockage in the central subchannel rings for the MYRRHA reactor a ccording to our current SIMMER-III subchannel numerical simulation.
SIMMER-III code, LBE cooled ADS, Rod bundle flow macroscopic modelling, Flow blockage accident
1. Abderrahim H.A., Baeten P., Bruyn D.D., Fernandez R. MYRRHA – A multi-purpose fast spectrum research reactor. Energy Conversion and Management, 2012, vol.63, pp.4-10.
2. Suzuki T., Chen X.-N., Rineiski A., Maschek W. Transient analyses for accelerator driven system PDSXADS using the extended SIMMER-III code. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2005, vol.235, pp.2594-2611.
3. Liu P., Chen X., Rineiski A., Maschek W. Transient analyses of the 400MWth-class EFIT accelerator driven transmuter with the multi-physics code: SIMMER-III. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2010, vol.240, no.10, pp.3481-3494.
4. Chen X.-N., Rineiski A., Maschek W., Liu P., Matzerath Boccaccini C., Sobolev V., Delage F., Rimpault G. Comparative studies of CERCER and CERMET fuels for EFIT from the viewpoint of core performance and safety. Progress in Nuclear Energy, 2011, vol.53, no.7, pp.855-861.
5. Chen X.-N., D’Andrea D., Matzerath Boccaccini C., Maschek W. Safety Analysis of the Lead-Bismuth Eutectic Cooled Accelerator Driven System XT-ADS. Proc. 18th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE18). Xi’an, 2010.
6. Kriventsev V., Chen X.-N., Zhang D., Rineiski A., Maschek W. Analysis of Unprotected Blockage Accidents in FASTEF Subcritical Core with SIMMER-IV. Proc. Int. Conf.on Fast Reactors and Related Flue Cycles: Safe Technologies and Suatainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013. Available at: http://www-pub.iaea.org/iaeameetings/41987/FR13 (accessed 24 February 2016)
7. Li R., Chen X.-N., Matzerath Boccaccini C., Rineiski A., Maschek W., Forgiane N., Bandini G. Study on Severe Accident Scenarios: Pin Failure in MYRRHA-FASTEF Critical Core. Proc. Int. Symposium on Innovative Nuclear Energy Systems. Tokyo, 2013.
8. Tanino Y., Nepf H.M. Laboratory investigation of mean drag in a random array of rigid, emergent cylinders. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 2008, vol.134, no.1, pp.34-41. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2008)134:1(34).
9. Jäger W. CDT Work Package 2 Meeting, Mol, Belgium, Oct. 2011, and Private Communication 2013.