Authors & Affiliations
Chen H.1,2, Zhou G.1,2, Chen Z.1,2, Zhou T.2, Bai Y.2
1University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui, China
2Institute of Nuclear Energy Safety Technology, Chinese Academy Of Sciences, Hefei, Anhui, China
According to Research Program “Advanced Nuclear Fission Energy-ADS Transmutation System”, pool-type reactor CLEAR-I with lead-bismuth natural circulation will be built before 2020 to verify neutronics, thermal-hydraulics and safety characteristics and to test integration technology for ADS system. A sub-channel analysis of the core was performed to locate the hottest fuel assembly and obtain coolant flow distribution. Maximum fuel and cladding temperatures and coolant velocity are below design constraints.
ADS transmutation system, CLEAR-1 research reactor, lead-bismuth coolant, natural circulation, sub-channel analysis, thermal-hydraulic characteristics, fuel temperature, computer code
1. Yican Wu, Hongli Chen et al. Lead-Alloy Cooled Fast Reactor Development Plan and R&D Status in China. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013.
2. Fosco Bianchi et al. Status and Trend of Core Design Activities for Heavy Metal Cooled Accelerator Driven System. Energy Conversion and Management, 2006, vol. 47, pp. 2698–2709.
3. MacDonald P.E., Buongiorno J. et al. Design of an Actinide Burning, Lead or Lead-Bismuth Cooled Reactor that Produces Low Cost Electricity, Annual Project status. INEEL/EXT-02-01249, 2002.
4. Meloni P. et al. T/H and Transient Analyses to Confirm EFIT Preliminary Design. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2008, vol. 376, pp. 405–408.
5. Zrodnikov V. et al. SVBR-75/100 Multipurpose Modular Low-Power Fast Reactor with Lead–Bismuth Coolant. Atomic Energy, 2004, vol. 97, no.2, pp. 528-533.
6. Yican Wu et al. Preliminary Experimental Study on the Corrosion of Structural Steel in Liquid Lead Bismuth Loop. Journal of Nuclear Science and Engineering (in Chinese), 2010, vol.30, no.3, pp.238-243.
7. Jinsuo Zhang et al. Review of the Studies on Fundamental Issues in LBE Corrosion. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2008, vol. 373, pp. 351–377.
8. Bai Y. et al. Conceptual Design of Lead-Bismuth Cooled Accelerator Driven Subcritical Reactor (LEBCAR). Proc. 15th Int. Conf. on Emerging Nuclear Energy Systems (ICENES-15). San Francisco, 2011.
9. Weihua Wang, et al. Structure Design and Analysis of Accelerator Driven Subcritical Reactor for China Nuclear Waste Transmutation. Proc. 15th Int. Conf. on Emerging Nuclear Energy Systems (ICENES-15). San Francisco, 2011.
10. Wu Y. et al. Overview of China LEad Alloy cooled Reactor Development and ADS Program in China. Proc. Conf. NUTHOS-9. Kaohsiung, 2012.
11. Hongli Chen, Zhao Chen et al. Preliminary Thermal-hydraulic Design and Analysis of China Lead Alloy Cooled Research Reactor (CLEAR-I). Proc. Conf. NUTHOS-9. Kaohsiung, 2012.
12. Ming Jin, Zhao Chen et al. Natural Circulation Characteristics of China Lead Alloy Cooled Research Reactor CLEAR-I. Proc. Conf. NUTHOS-9. Kaohsiung, 2012.
13. Zhao Chen, Guangming Zhou et al. CFD analysis of circumferential temperature distribution on fuel cladding surface of China Lead Alloy Cooled Research Reactor (CLEAR-I). Proc. Conf. ICONE-21.Chengdu, 2013.
14. Chaudri K.S., et al. Development of sub-channel code SACoS and its application in coupled neutronics/thermal hydraulics system for SCWR. Annals of Nuclear Energy, 2012, vol. 45, pp. 37-45.
15. Sobolev V., Benamati G. Thermophysical and Electric Properties. Handbook on Lead–bismuth Eutectic Alloy and Lead Properties, Materials Compatibility, Thermal-hydraulics and Technologies, NEA No.6195, OECD. Paris, 2007, pp. 25-99.
16. Ibragimov M.Kh., Subbotin V.I., Ushakov P.A. Investigation of Heat Transfer in the Turbulent Flow of Liquid Metals in Tubes. Atomic Energy, 1961, vol. 8, pp. 48-50.
17. Bubelis E., Schikorr M. Review and proposal for best fit of wire-wrapped fuel bundle friction factor and pressure drop predictions using various existing correlations. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2008, vol. 238, pp. 3299-3320.
18. Rehme K. Pressure drop correlations for fuel element spacers. Nuclear Technology, 1973, vol. 17, pp. 15-23.
19. Tao Zhou, Pengcheng Zhao et al. Preliminary Analysis of Natural Circulation Characteristics of China Lead-alloy Cooed Research Reactor (CLEAR-I). Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013.