Authors & Affiliations
Alekseev V.V., Orlova E.A., Varseev E.V., Torbenkova I.Yu.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Alekseev V.V. – Dr. Sci. (Tech.), Chief Researcher, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering. Contacts: 1, pl. Bondarenko, Obninsk, Kaluga reg, Russia, 249033. Tel.: (484) 399-42-34, e-mail:
Orlova E.A. – Cand. Sci. (Tech.), Leading Researcher, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Varseev E.V. – Research engineer, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Torbenkova I.Yu. – Researcher, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
It is modeled the mass transfer process of steel corrosion products in non -isothermal circuit with lead in case of oxygen introduction into the coolant. The dependence for determining of oxygen source value for a given change of oxygen concentration in lead is obtained. The estimation is made of the threshold of oxygen concentration (activity) in lead, the excess of which does not increase the rate of steel corrosion. It was found that at the threshold of oxygen concentration lead-iron ternary oxides begins to form on the surface of steel (achieved of lead-iron ternary oxides activity equal to unity). The dependence of the maximum rate of steel corrosion on the thickness of the spinel iron-chromium sublayer at temperature of 550°C is obtained, which is a straight line in a logarithmic scale. At the absence in the oxide layer of iron-chromium spinel sublayer corrosion rate reaches an extreme value. A theoretical curve of extreme rate of EP-823 steel corrosion in lead vs temperature is obtained, which is consistent with experimental data. At 550°C value of extreme corrosion rate is 900 mm/year.
lead, coolant, steel, oxygen, magnetite, oxide coating, corrosion, mass transfer, flow rate, temperature
1. Eliseeva O.I., Tsisar V.P., Fedirko V.M., Matychak Ya.S. Changes in the phase composition of an oxide film on ЙP-823 steel in contact with a static lead melt. Fiziko-Khimicheskaya Mekhanika Materialov, 2004, vol. 40, pp. 90–98.
2. Yeliseyeva O., Tsisar V., Benamati G. Influence of temperature on the interaction mode of T91 and AISI 316L steels with Pb–Bi melt saturated by oxygen. Corrosion Science, 2008, vol. 50, pp. 1672-1683.
3. Eliseeva O.I., Tsisar V.P. Effect of temperature on the interaction of ЙP-823 steel with lead melts saturated with oxygen. Materials Science, 2007, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 230-237.
4. Gromov B.F., Orlov Yu.I., Martynov P.N., Gulevskii V.A. Problems of the technology of heavy liquid-metal coolants (lead–bismuth, lead). Proc. Sci. Tech. Conf. "Heavy Liquid-Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies". Obninsk, 1999, vol. 1, pp. 92–107.
5. Yeliseyeva O., Tsisar V., Zhou Z. Corrosion behavior of Fe–14Cr–2W and Fe–9Cr–2W ODS steels in stagnant liquid Pb with different oxygen concentration at 550 and 650°C. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2013, vol. 442, pp. 434–443.
6. Alekseev V.V., Orlova E.A., Kozlov F.A. et al. Modelirovanie protsessov massoperenosa i korrozii staley v yadernykh energeticheskikh ustanovkakh so svintsovym teplonositelem. Chast' 2: Razrabotka odnomernoy modeli massoperenosa [Modeling of mass transfer and corrosion resistance of steels in nuclear power plants with a lead coolant. Part 2: Development of one-dimensional model of mass transfer]. Preprint FEI-3154 - Preprint IPPE-3154. Obninsk, 2009.
7. Alekseev V.V., Orlova E.A., Kozlov F.A. et al. Modelirovanie protsessov massoperenosa i korrozii staley v yadernykh energeticheskikh ustanovkakh so svintsovym teplonositelem. Chast' 3: Utochnenie predvaritel'nykh raschetov. Razrabotka trekhmernoy modeli [Modeling of mass transfer and corrosion resistance of steels in nuclear power plants with a lead coolant. Part 3: Clarification of preliminary calculations. The development of three-dimensional model]. Preprint FEI-3179 - Preprint IPPE-3179. Obninsk, 2010.
8. Alekseev V.V., Varseev E.V., Kondratiev A.S. et al. Issledovanie korrozionnykh povrezhdeniy stali v svintsovom teplonositele. Chast' 1. Otsenka termodinamicheskoy aktivnosti plyumboferritov [A study of corrosion damage of steel in lead coolant. Part 1. Evaluation of thermodynamic activity of Pb-Fe-O oxides]. Preprint FEI-3240 - Preprint IPPE-3240. Obninsk, 2014.
9. Schroer C., Wedemeyer O., Novotny J., Skrypnik A., Konys J. Long-term service of austenitic steel 1.4571 as a container material for flowing lead–bismuth eutecti. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2011, vol. 418, no. 1-3, pp. 8-15.
10. Ivanov V.A. Rastvorenie staley v potoke litiya [The dissolution of steel in lithium flow]. Atomnaya tekhnika za rubezhom - Atomic energy technology abroad, 1979, no. 10, pp. 9-13.