Authors & Affiliations
Saldikov I.S.1, Tikhomirov G.V.1, Ternovykh M.Yu.1, Khomyakov Y.S.2, Suslov I.R.2, Fomichenko P.A.3
1National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”, Moscow, Russia
2ROSATOMS’s “Innovation and technology center for the “PRORYV” project” (ITCP), Moscow, Russia
3National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute", Moscow, Russia
Tikhomirov G.V. – Deputy Director of the Institute of Physics and Technology, Dr. Sci. (Phys. and Math.), Associate Professor, National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”.
Ternovykh M.Yu. – Senior Lecturer, National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”.
Khomyakov Yu.S. – Dr. Sci. (Phys. and Math.), ROSATOMS’s “Innovation and technology center for the “PRORYV” project” (ITCP).
Suslov I.R. – Chief Specialist, Cand. Sci. (Phys. and Math.), ROSATOMS’s “Innovation and technology center for the “PRORYV” project” (ITCP).
Fomichenko P.A. – Head of the laboratory of physical security, National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute".
The strategy of the development of nuclear power in Russia provides for use of fast power reactors in closed nuclear fuel cycle. The PRORYV (i.e. «Breakthrough» in Russian) project is currently under development. Within the framework of this project, fast reactors BN-1200 and BREST-OD-300 should be built to, inter alia, demonstrate possibility of the closed nuclear fuel cycle technologies with pluto-nium as a main source of energy. Russia has a large inventory of plutonium which was accumulated in the result of reprocessing of spent fuel of thermal power reactors and conversion of nuclear weapons. This kind of plutonium will be used for development of initial fuel assemblies for fast reactors. The closed nuclear fuel cycle concept of the PRORYV assumes self-supplied mode of operation with fuel regeneration by neutron capture reaction in non-enriched uranium, which is used as a raw material. Operating modes of reactors and its characteristics should be chosen so as to provide the self-sufficient mode by using of fissile isotopes while refueling by depleted uranium and to support this state during the entire period of reactor operation. Thus, the actual issue is modeling fuel handling processes. To solve these problems, the code REPRORYV (Recycle for PRORYV) has been developed. It simulates nuclide streams in non-reactor stages of the closed fuel cycle. At the same time various verified codes can be used to evaluate in-core characteristics of a reactor. By using this approach various options for nuclide streams and assess the impact of different plutonium content in the fuel, fuel processing conditions, losses during fuel processing, as well as the impact of initial uncertainties on neutron-physical characteristics of reactor are considered in this study. In this article the REPRORYV code is described in details.
closed nuclear fuel cycle, fast reactors, recycling, BN, BN-1200, BREST-OD-300
1. Poplavsky V.M., Tsiboulia A.M., Khomyakov Yu.S., Matveev V.I., Eliseev V.A., Tsikunov A.G., Vasiliev B.A., Belov S.B., Farakshin M.R. Core design and fuel cycle ofadvanced fast reactor withsodium coolant. International Conference on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles (FR09) - Challenges and Opportunities. Kyoto, Japan, 2009.
2. Vasilyeva B.A., Shepeleva S.F., Ashirmetov M.R., Poplavsky V.M. BN-1200 Reactor Power Unit Design Development. International Conference on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, France, 2013.
3. Vasil'ev A.V., Fomichenko P.A., Alekseev P.N., Nevinitsa V.A., Belov S.B., Vasil'ev B.A., Evseev V.I., Farakshin M.R. Raschetnyy analiz variantov aktivnoy zony BN-800 s nitridnym toplivom [Calculation analysis of the core options BN-800 with nitride fuel]. Preprint RNTs KI, IAE-6275/4 - Preprint of Kurchatov Institute, IAE-6275/4. Moscow, 2003.
4. Nevinitsa A.I., Matveev V.I., Stogov V.Yu., Chernyy V.A. Raschet neytronno-fizicheskikh kharakteristik bystrogo reaktora v statsionarnom rezhime peregruzok [Calculation of neutron-physical characteristics of the fast reactor in a steady overload mode]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2011, no. 2, pp. 53-57.
5. Yaroslavtseva L.N. Kompleks programm JAR dlya rascheta neytronno-fizicheskikh kharakteristik yadernykh reaktorov [JAR complex programs for the calculation of neutron-physical characteristics of nuclear reactors]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 1983, no. 8(37), pp. 41-43.
6. Yaroslavtseva L.N. The JAR Code System for Nuclear Reactor Neutronics Calculations. Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 1983, no. 8 (37), pp. 41-43.
7. Manturov G.N., Nikolaev M.N., Tsibulya A.M. Sistema gruppovykh konstant BNAB-93. Ch.1. Gruppovye konstanty dlya rascheta neytronnykh i fotonnykh poley izlucheniya [System group constants ABBN-93. Part 1. Group constants for calculation of neutron and photon radiation fields]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yadernye konstanty - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Nuclear Constants, 1996, no. 1, pp. 4-12.
8. Prodanova R. Calculation of isotope composition of WWER-440 spent fuel assembly by the NESSEL-NUKO code system on the basis of the ISTC burn up credit project data. Institute for Nuclear Research and Nuclear Energy Bulgarian Academy of Sciences.
9. Seleznev E.F., Belov A.A. Raschetnoe soprovozhdenie ekspluatatsii BN-600 [Calculation support BN-600]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2010, vol. 108, no. 4. pp. 256-259.
10. Belov S.B., Kiselev A.V., Marova E.V., Farakshin M.R., Zizin M.N., Fomichenko P.A., Raskach K.F., Semenov M.Yu. Rezul'taty testovykh raschetov neytronno-fizicheskikh protsessov pri dvizhenii odinochnykh sterzhney SUZ v reaktore tipa BN-1200 [The results of test calculations of neutron-physical processes in the movement of single control rods in the BN-1200 reactor]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2014, no. 4, pp. 77-82.