Authors & Affiliations
Boyarinov V.F., Fomichenko P.A.
National Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”, Moscow, Russia
Fomichenko P.A. – Head of Division, National Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”.
Description of international time-dependent neutron transport benchmark C5G7-TD is given. Benchmark has been approved by Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development Nuclear Energy Agency (OECD/NEA) in February 2015.
The first workshop C5G7-TD-1 on this matter was held in May 31, 2016. The main objective of this seminar was to specify the first benchmark phase as a series of space-time neutron kinetics test problems with heterogeneous domain description for solving the time-dependent neutron transport equation without feedbacks. Physical materials in these tests are described by transport macroscopic cross sections. Such benchmark would allow carrying out verification of developed deterministic and stochastic codes and rigorously revealing methodical errors. Authors of the C5G7-TD benchmark specification are the specialists of Kurchatov Institute, North Carolina State University, USA, and GRS, Germany.
The model of this new benchmark is based on the well-studied steady-state C5G7 benchmark problem. It is a miniature light water moderated critical assembly with sixteen fuel assemblies (minicore): eight uranium oxide (UO2) assemblies and eight mixed oxide (MOX) assemblies, surrounded by a water reflector. The new C5G7-TD benchmark is provided with the transport corrected 7-group cross sections, group neutron velocities and 8-group kinetics parameters of materials.
Two sets of exercises are defined in this benchmark. The first set consists of four two-dimensional exercises: TD0, TD1, TD2 and TD3. The second set consists of two three-dimensional exercises: TD4, TD5. Detail laws of perturbations are described in report. Perturbations are introduced promptly (by step) only in test tasks of TD0 set. In all other exercises, perturbations are introduced by the linear law (ramp). In exercises TD0, TD1, TD2 and TD4, perturbations are introduced by insertion/withdrawal of control rods groups, and in exercises TD3, TD5 perturbations are introduced by change of core moderator density. In total, 26 test tasks are defined. The work presents the detailed description of all test tasks, the set of output functionals and calculational examples of several test tasks by SUHAM-TD code using the Surface Harmonics Method.
It should be noted that at the moment more than 10 calculational codes and organizations expressed a desire to participate in calculations of C5G7-TD benchmark. The C5G7-TD benchmark Organization committee welcomes the appearance of new codes and organizations wishing to take part in calculations of this benchmark.
international benchmark, C5G7-TD, light water critical assembly, neutron transport, time-dependent processes, perturbation laws, group approximation, SUHAM-TD code
Article Text (PDF, in Russian)
1. Boyarinov V.F., Kondrushin A.E., Fomichenko P.A. Benchmark on deterministic time-dependent transport calculations without spatial homogenization. Proc. Conf. PHYSOR 2014 – The Role of Reactor Physics Toward a Sustainable Future. Kyoto, Japan, 2014.
2. Boyarinov V.F., Fomichenko P.A., Hou J., Ivanov K., Aures A., Zwermann W., Velkov K. Deterministic Time-Dependent Neutron Transport Benchmark without Spatial Homogenization (C5G7-TD), Version 1.6. NEA/NSC/DOC(2016).
3. Cavarec C., Perron J., Verwaerde D., West J. The OECD/NEA benchmark calculations of power distributions within assemblies. Electricity de France, 1994.
4. Lewis E., Smith M., Tsoulfanidis N., Palmiotti G., Taiwo T., Blomquist R. Benchmark specification for Deterministic 2-D/3-D MOX fuel assembly transport calculations without spatial homogenization (C5G7 MOX), NEA/NSC, 2001.
5. Smith M.A., Lewis E., Na B.-C. Benchmark on Deterministic Transport Calculations without Spatial Homogenization (MOX Fuel Assembly 3-D Extension Case). NEA/NSC/DOC(2005)16, 2005.
6. Boyarinov V.F., Kondrushin A.E., Fomichenko P.A. Dvumernye uravneniya metoda poverkhnostnykh garmonik dlya resheniya zadach prostranstvennoy neytronnoy kinetiki v reaktorakh s kvadratnoy reshetkoy [Two-Dimensional Surface Harmonics Method Equations for Solving the Space-Time Neutron Kinetics Problems of Square-Lattice Nuclear Reactors]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2013, no. 4, pp. 4–16.
7. Boyarinov V.F., Kondrushin A.E., Fomichenko P.A. Novyy benchmark dlya kross-verifikatsii deterministicheskikh nestatsionarnykh kodov dlya raschetov perenosa neytronov bez prostranstvennoy gomogenizatsii [New benchmark for cross-verification of the deterministic time-dependent codes for neutron transport calculations without spatial homogenization]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2016, no. 1, pp. 39–51.
8. Marleau G., Hebert A., Roy R. A User’s Guide for DRAGON. IGE-174, Rev, vol. 3, 1996.
9. Cathalau S., Lefebvre J., West J. Proposal for a second stage of the benchmark on power distributions within assemblies. NEA/NSC/DOC(1996)2, 1996.
10. Zilly M., Velkov K., Zwermann W., Jung Y.S., Joo H.G. Quantifying nuclear data uncertainty in nTracer simulation results with the XSUSA method. Proc. Conf. ANS MC2015 - Joint International Conference on Mathematics and Computation (M&C), Supercomputing in Nuclear Applications (SNA) and the Monte Carlo (MC) Method. Nashville, TN, 2015.
11. Rudstam G., Finck P., Filip A., D’Angelo A., McKnight R. International Evaluation Cooperation. Volume 6: Delayed neutron data for the major actinides. NEA/WPEC-6 Report, 2002.
12. Bergiers C., Ivanov B., Ivanov K. Establishment of consistent benchmark framework for performing high-fidelity whole core transport/diffusion calculations. Proc. Int. Conf. on Advances in Nuclear Reactor Simulations, PHYSOR 2006. Vancouver, Canada, 2006.
13. Laletin N.I. Ob uravneniyakh geterogennogo reaktora [On the Equations of a Heterogeneous Reactor]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 1981, vol. 5, no. 18, pp. 31.
14. Boyarinov V.F., Kondrushin A.E., Fomichenko P.A. Surface Harmonics Method Equations for Solving the Time-Dependent Neutron Transport Problems and their Verification. Proc. Conf. PHYSOR 2012. Knoxville, USA, 2012.
15. Boyarinov V.F., Kondrushin A.E., Fomichenko P.A. Uravneniya metoda poverkhnostnykh garmonik dlya resheniya nestatsionarnykh zadach perenosa neytronov i ikh verifikatsiya [Surface harmonic method equations for solving the time-dependent neutron transport problems and its verification]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2012, no. 2, pp. 18–27.
16. Boyarinov V.F., Kondrushin A.E., Fomichenko P.A. Surface harmonic method for two-dimensional time-dependent neutron transport problems of square-lattice nuclear reactors. Proc. M&C 2013. Sun Valley, USA, 2013.
17. Laletin N.I., Sultanov N.V., Boyarinov V.F. WIMS-SU Complex. Proc. Int. Conf. on Physics of Reactors PHYSOR-90. Marcell, France, 1990, pp. 12-39.
18. Boyarinov V.F., El'shin A.V. Metod sfericheskikh garmonik dlya rascheta antisimmetrichnykh probnykh funktsiy v yacheykakh yadernogo reaktora [Spherical harmonics method for calculation of antisymmetric trial functions in nuclear reactor cells]. Trudy 12 seminara po problemam fiziki reaktorov, Volga-2002 [Proc. 12th Meeting on the Reactor Physics Problems, Volga-2002]. Moscow, 2002, pp. 207-209.
Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constants, 2017, issue 2, 2:4