Authors & Affiliations
Sorokin A.P., Trufanov A.A.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Sorokin A.P. – Deputy Director of Safety Department, Dr. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Trufanov A.A. – Deputy Director of Safety Department, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering. Contacts: 1, pl. Bondarenko, Obninsk, Kaluga region, Russia, 249033. Tel.: +7(484) 399-83-63; e-mail:
Systems of the coolant purification are a necessary element any reactor installations. Owing to absence in our country of experience of the creation and maintenance of the purification systems which have been built in the reactor vessel there is a number of the new problems, one of which is raise of the purification systems productivity and capacity. Analysis of sodium purification systems in NPP with fast reactors from BR-5 to perspective fast reactor with high power such as cold traps and sorbents for purification from caesium, provided successful maintenance NPP with fast reactors cooled by sodium, the hot traps having a prospect of use for sodium purification from oxygen on NPP, has shown, that there are possibilities of raise of the purification system characteristics. The main directions of the works on raising of the purification system characteristics for the perspective NPP with the sodium coolant are recommended on the basis of the researches results. The cold trap should be an obligatory element of the purification system in primary contour of reactor installation which has been built in the reactor vessel. Hot traps can provide purification of the sodium coolant from oxygen in the primary contour at work of NPP both on a nominal condition and in parking regimes at coolant heating in them. Optimum solutions on sodium purification from radioactive impurity and not radioactive corrosion products with reference to fast reactors cooled by sodium demand purposeful R&D.
fast reactor, sodium, purification system built in the reactor vesse, could trap, hot trap, filter, productivity, capacity, impurity, oxygen, hydrogen, corrosion products, caesium, heat and mass transfer, diffusion
1. Efanov A.D., Kozlov F.A. Zhidkie metally: ot pervogo teplofizicheskogo stenda k krupnomasshtabnoy atomnoy energetike [Liquid metals: from the first thermophysical stand to large-scale nuclear power engineering]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 2001.
2. Kozlov F.A., Kuznetsov E.K. Ochistka natriya ot kisloroda s pomoshch'yu goryachikh lovushek [Purification of sodium from oxygen by means of hot traps]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1967. Pp. 340-355.
3. Parkins V. Eksperimental'nyy natrievyy reaktor [Experimental sodium reactor]. Trudy mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii po mirnomu isspol'zovaniyu atomnoy energii [Proc. Int. Conf. on the Peaceful Uses of Atomic Energy]. Zheneva, 1955, pp. 208-263.
4. Kirillov P.L., Kozlov F.A., Subbotin V.I., Turchin N.M. Ochistka natriya ot okislov i kontrol' za ikh soderzhaniem [Purification of sodium from oxides and control over their content]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 1960, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 30.
5. Kozlov F.A., Volchkov L.G., Kuznetsov E.K., Matyukhin V.V. Zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli YaEU. Ochistka ot primesey i ikh kontrol' [Liquid metal coolants of nuclear power plants. Purification of impurities and their control]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1983.
6. Levich V.G. Fiziko-khimicheskaya gidrodinamika [Physicochemical hydrodynamics]. Moscow, Fizmatgiz Publ., 1959.
7. Alekseev V.V., Kovalyov Yu.P., Kalyakin S.G., Kozlov F.A., Kumaev V.Ya., Kondratiev A.S., Matyukhin V.V., Pirogov E.P., Sergeev G.P., Sorokin A.P., Torbenkova I.Yu. Sistemy ochistki natrievogo teplonositelya AES s reaktorom BN-1200 [Systems for cleaning the sodium coolant of the nuclear power plant with the BN-1200 reactor]. Teploenergetika - Thermal Engineering, 2013, no. 5, pp. 9-20.
8. RIA Novyy Region - Ekaterinburg, (2010). Avialable at: http://www.nr2.ru/ekb/277746.html (accessed 13.03.2012).
9. Rineysky A.A. Inzhiniring energobloka s reaktorom na bystrykh neytronakh BN-800 [Engineering of a power unit with a fast neutron reactor BN-800]. Atomnaya strategiya – Atomic strategy, 2006, no. 23, pp. 23-25.
10. Bakanov M., Potapov O. 30-letniy opyt promyshlennoy ekspluatatsii reaktora BN-600 [30 years of experience in industrial operation of the BN-600 reactor], (2010). Available at: http://energyland.info/analitic-show-51526 (accessed 01.08.2017).
11. Scherbakov S.I. Numerical simulation of non-steady-state multiphase flow. The 2D TURBOFLOW computer code used to perform express analysis of design. Proc. 11th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics (NURETH-11). Avignon, France, 2005, pp. 238/1-238/25.
12. Kumaev V.Ya., Lebezov A.A., Pyshin I.V., Alekseev V.V. MASKA-LM – kod dlya rascheta massoperenosa primesey v zhidkometallicheskikh konturakh [MASKA-LM - code for calculation of mass transfer of impurities in liquid-metal circuits]. Trudy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii “Teplomassoperenos i svoystva zhidkikh metallov” [Proc. Tech. Sci. Conf. “Heat and mass transfer and properties of liquid metals”]. Obninsk, 2002, vol. 1, pp. 295-298.
13. Kumaev V., Lebezov A., Alexeev V. Development and application of MASKA-LM code for calculation of thermal hydraulics and mass transfer of lead cooled fast reactors. Proc. 11th Int. Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics (NURETH-11). Avignon, France, 2005, pp. 191/1-191/61.
14. Varseev E.V., Alekseev V.V., Kondratiev A.S. Primenenie otkrytogo CFD paketa dlya rascheta teplomassoobmena v prototipe kholodnoy lovushki [Application of an open CFD package for the calculation of heat and mass transfer in a cold trap prototype]. Trudy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii “Teplofizika reaktorov na bystrykh neytronakh (Teplofizika-2013)” [Proc. Tech. Sci. Conf. “Thermophysics of fast neutron reactors (Thermophysics-2013)”]. Obninsk, 2013, pp. 150-151.
15. Alekseev V.V., Kozlov F.A., Sorokin A.P., Trufanov A.A., Kryuchkov E.A., Varseev E.V., Konovalov M.A., Torbenkova I.Yu. Ispytaniya na natrievom stende modeli kholodnoy lovushki [Tests on the sodium stand of the cold trap model [Ispytaniya na natriyevom stende modeli kholodnoy lovushki]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2017, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 29-33.
16. Pavlov K.F., Romankov P.G., Noskov A.A. Primery i zadachi po kursu protsessov i apparatov khimicheskoy tekhnologii [Examples and tasks on the course of processes and devices of chemical technology]. Moscow, Chemistry Publ., 1970.
17. Chechetkin Yu.V., Kizin V.D., Polyakov V.I. Radiatsionnaya bezopasnost' AES s bystrym reaktorom i natrievym teplonositelem [Radiation safety of nuclear power plants with a fast reactor and sodium coolant]. Moscow, Energoamtoizdat Publ., 1983.