Authors & Affiliations
Grabezhnaya V.A., Mikheyev A.S.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Grabezhnaya V.A. – Leading Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering. Contacts: 1, pl. Bondarenko, Obninsk, Kaluga region, Russia, 249033. Tel.: +7(484) 399-86-86, e-mail:
Mikheyev A.S. – Head of laboratory, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
The developed project of the steam generator reactor facility (RF) BREST-OD-300 is a pioneer as for the used lead as the coolant, and for the design implementation (coil of heat-transfer pipes). Advantages of the designs of steam generators made in the form of helical coiled tubes, in comparison with the straight tubes are obvious. Helical coiled tubes are used in heat exchanging equipment not only to increase the heat transfer surface, to solve the problem of thermal expansion, but also to increase the heat transfer coefficient to the liquid flowing inside the tubes.
In 2011-2013 years in IPPE at the SPRUT stand, thermal-hydraulic tests of the model of the steam generator BREST-OD-300 RF coiled tubes (version 2000) were carried out with a longitudinal coolant flow of heating tubes by the lead. The model of the steam generator (SG) consists of two identical three-tube modules. The developer of the model, its electrical heating, thermal insulation and metal structures connecting the two three-tube models is OKB “GIDROPRESS”. The test program of the steam generator model was aimed at the study of heat transfer and thermal-hydraulic stability of steam generating tubes in the operation of one section, and also in detecting pulsations of flow in the second circuit caused by the parallel operation of the two sections with the parameters of the partial and starting modes. Throughout the range of operating parameters, pulsation regimes with a rollover of the circulation in the second circuit were not detected. The results of the tests of the steam generator model provide extensive information on the nature of the heat transfer in different zones of the steam generating channel under various operating conditions (nominal and partial modes, starting regimes). However, the insufficient number of heat transfer tubes in the module (only three) does not allow to conclude that the full hydrodynamic stability of SG RF BREST is guaranteed in the entire possible range of operational parameters. On the other hand, in a real design, the movement of the heating coolant is omitted with flow around a bundle of tubes close to the transverse flow. The lack of validity of carrying the results obtained in early experiments on the full-scale steam generator served as the basis for the need to conduct tests on the multi-tube model of the staff steam generator, the development of the project was carried out in JSC “EC “ZIOMAR”.
One of the tasks of these tests was to confirm or disprove the existence of unstable regimes when operating at reduced power levels (partial regimes).
The tests carried out on the 18-tube model of the steam generator in partial mode showed that regimes with pulsations of water flow, pressure in the collectors, and steam temperature were not detected.
reactor, steam generator, heavy liquid coolant, lead, water, helical coiled tubes, model of steam generator, experiment, the temperature profile, thermohydraulic stability
1. Mitenkov F.M., Golovko V.F., Ushakov P.A., Yur'yev Yu.S. Proyektirovaniye teploobmennykh apparatov [Design of heat exchangers]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1988.
2. Rassokhin N.G. Parogeneratornyye ustanovki atomnykh elektrostantsiy [NPP steam generating sets]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1987.
3. Kokorev B.V., Farafonov V.A. Parogeneratory yadernykh energeticheskikh ustanovok s zhidkometallicheskim okhlazhdeniyem [Steam generators of nuclear power plants with liquid metal cooling]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1990.
4. Grabezhnaya V.A., Mikheyev A.S., Shtein Yu.Yu., Semchenkov A.A. Raschetno-eksperimental'noye issledovaniye raboty modeli parogeneratora [Calculation and experimental study of the steam generator model operation]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika – Proceedings of Universities. Nuclear Energy, 2013, no. 1, pp. 101-109.
5. Grabezhnaya V.A., Mikheyev A.S., Shtein Yu.Yu., Kryukov A.Ye. Rezul'taty ispytaniy modeli parogeneratora BREST v usloviyakh chastichnykh i puskovykh rezhimov [Results of BREST steam generator model tests under partial and starting conditions]. Trudy nauchno-tekhn. konf. "Teplofizika reaktorov na bystryy neytronakh (Teplofizika-2013)" [Proc. Sci. Tech. Conf. "Thermophysics of fast neutron reactors (Thermophysics-2013)"]. Obninsk, IPPE, 2014, vol. 1, pp. 287-293.
6. Grabezhnaya V.A., Kryukov A.Ye., Mikheyev A.S., Shtein Yu.Yu. Nekotoryye rezul'taty issledovaniya modeli vitogo parogeneratora, obogrevayemogo svintsom [Some results twisted lead-roasted steam generator research]. Trudy konf. "Tyazhelyye zhidkometallicheskiye teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh (TZHMT-2013)" [Proc. Conf. "Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies HLMCNT-2013"]. Obninsk, IPPE, 2014, vol. 1, pp. 139-152.
7. Grabezhnaya V.A., Parfenov A.S., Mikheyev A.S. O konvektivnom teploobmene v vitykh kanalakh s zhidkometallicheskim obogrevom [Convective heat transfer in coiled channels with liquid-metal heating]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornyye konstanty – Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Nuclear and reactor constants, 2016, no. 5, pp. 175-183.
8. Kalyakin S.G., Grachev N.S., Grabezhnaya V.A., Vakhrushin M.P., Neyevin V.S., Shvarts A.L., Kolbasnikov A.V. Eksperimental'noye issledovaniye teploobmena v zhidkom metalle v obosnovaniye parogeneratora ustanovki RU BREST-OD-300 [Heat transfer experimental study in liquid metal in support of the BR BREST-OD-300 steam generator]. Trudy 3 Rossiyskoy konferentsii po teploobmenu (RNKT-3) [Proc. 3 Rus. Conf. on Heat Transfer (RCHT-3)]. Moscow, 2002, vol. 2, pp. 159-162.
9. Rukovodyashchiy tekhnicheskiy material. Parogeneratory AES pryamotochnyye s trubami v vide vintovykh zmeyevikov. Raschet teplovoy i gidravlicheskiy [Manual. NPP steam generators in-line with pipes in the form of screw coils. Calculation of thermal and hydraulic]. RTM 108.300.01-81. NPO TSKTI, 1983.
10. Grabezhnaya V.A., Grachev N.S., Mikheyev A.S. Opyt eksperimental'nogo obosnovaniya parogeneratorov AES s reaktorami na bystrykh neytronakh [Experience of experimental rationale of steam generators of fast reactor NPP]. Obninsk, IPPE, 2014. Pp. 161-187.
11. Grachev N.S., Kirillov P.L., Martynov P.N. Parogeneratory s pryamym kontaktom mezhdu zhidkim metallom i vodoy [Steam generators with direct contact between liquid metal and water]. Trudy konf. "Tyazhelyye zhidkometallicheskiye teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh" [Proc. Conf. "Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies"]. Obninsk, 1999, vol. 2, pp. 799-806.