Authors & Affiliations
Askhadullin R.Sh., Storozhenko A.N., Legkikh A.Yu.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Askhadullin R.Sh. – Deputy Director of the Department of Science and Technology for Science and Technology, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Storozhenko A.N. – Head of Laboratory, Cand. Sci. (Phys.-Math.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Heavy liquid metal coolants (HLMC) including lead-bismuth and lead make significant corrosion and erosion impact on structural steels. The only way to assure the long-term reliable operation of steels of the primary system components operating in contact with HLMC is to provide protective coating on the steel surface. By now, oxygen-based technology of structural steel surface passivation has been chosen for this purpose. This technology implies formation of protective oxide films on the steel surface and assurance of their integrity during plant operation by maintaining specified oxygen potential of coolant.
In case of HLMC circuits operation without purposeful supply of dissolved oxygen to the coolant spontaneous deoxidization of coolant takes place down to the level, at which corrosion protection of structural steels cannot be provided. Therefore, stable and reliable protection of steels contacting with HLMC requires adding of dissolved oxygen to the coolant on a regular basis during specified plant lifetime.
IPPE specialists proposed various methods of continued maintaining of desired HLMC oxygen po-tential in both nuclear power plants and experimental facilities. These methods have been developed using test facilities. Currently, the efforts are focused on the development of systems and equipment for implementation of technology of maintaining specified oxygen potential of HLMC in the advanced reactor designs (BREST-OD-300, SVBR-100, etc.).
Solid-phase method of oxygen content control for maintaining specified oxygen potential in HLMC is the most promising. This method developed by the IPPE is based on the use of mass exchangers with solid-phase source of oxygen.
For the moment, over 50 various mass exchanger designs have been developed by the IPPE special-ists. They differ from each other in the arrangement of solid-phase lead oxides dissolving process. Large experience of their operation in test facilities with HLMC has been gained.
In the paper presented are the various methods of maintaining specified HLMC oxygen potential and approaches to their implementation based on the experience gained in operating various experimental facilities and power plants located in the research institutes of the Russian Federation.
heavy liquid metal coolant, oxygen, dissolved impurity, controlling, corrosion, thermodynamic activity, nuclear reactor, test facility, gas mixture, solid-phase method
1. Obzor yadernykh tekhnologiy – 2016. General'naya konferentsiya MAGATE [Nuclear Technology Review – 2016. The IAEA General Conference], (2016). Available at: https://www.iaea.org/About/Policy/GC/GC60/GC60InfDocuments/Russian/gc60inf-2_rus.pdf (accessed 20.12.2017).
2. Efanov A.D., Ivanov K.D., Martynov P.N., Orlov Yu.I. Tekhnologiya svintsovo-vismutovogo teplonositelya na YaEU pervogo i vtorogo pokoleniy [Lead-Bismuth Coolant Technology at NPPs of the First and Second Generation]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2007, no. 1, pp. 138-144.
3. Toshinsky G.I. A.I. Leypunskiy i yadernye energeticheskie ustanovki s zhidkometallicheskim teplonositelem svinets-vismut dlya atomnykh podvodnykh lodok [A.I. Leypunsky and Nuclear Power Plants with Liquid Metal Lead-Bismuth Coolant for Nuclear-Powered Submarines]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2003, no. 4, pp. 13-18.
4. Martynov P.N., Rachkov V.I., Askhadullin R.Sh., Storozhenko A.N., Ulyanov V.V. Analiz sovremennogo sostoyaniya tekhnologii svintsovogo i svintsovo-vismutovogo teplonositeley [Analysis of the Present Status of the Lead and Lead-Bismuth Coolant Technology]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2014, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 234-240.
5. Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh., Orlov Yu.I., Storozhenko A.N. Covremennye voprosy i zadachi tekhnologii tyazhelykh zhidkometallicheskikh teplonositeley YaEU (svinets, svinets-vismut) [Current Problems and Objectives of Heavy Liquid Metal Coolant Technologies at NPP (Lead, Lead-Bismuth)]. Trudy Mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii "Tyazhelye zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh (TZhMT-2013)" [Proc. Int. Conf. “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies (HLMC-2013)”]. Obninsk, 2013, pp. 42-51.
6. Martynov P.N., Ivanov K.D., Bobkov V.P. et al. Gidrodinamika, teploobmen v konturakh s zhidkometallicheskimi teplonositelyami. Svoystva zhidkometallicheskikh teplonositeley na osnove svintsa [Hydrodynamics, Head Exchange in Liquid Metal Coolant Loops. The Properties of Lead-Based Liquid Metal Coolants]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 1992. 335 p.
7. Ulyanov V.V., Martynov P.N., Gulevsky V.A., Teplyakov Yu.A., Fomin A.S., Ivanov I.I. Vodorodnaya ochistka TZhMT [Hydrogen Purification of HLMC]. Trudy Mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii "Tyazhelye zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh (TZhMT-2013)" [Proc. Int. Conf. “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technology (HLMC-2013)”]. Obninsk, 2013, pp. 348-354.
8. Ivanov K.D., Lavrova O.V., Yudintsev P.A., Niyazov S.-A.S. Istochniki primesey v teplonositelyakh Pb i Pb-Bi [Sources of Impurities in Pb and Pb-Bi Coolants]. Trudy mezhotraslevogo seminara "Tyazhelye zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli (Teplofizika-2010)" [Proc. Interindustry Workshop “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants (Thermal Physics-2010)”]. Obninsk, 2010, pp. 68-76.
9. Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh., Simakov A.A. et al. Tverdofaznaya tekhnologiya regulirovaniya kisloroda v tyazhelykh zhidkometallicheskikh teplonositelyakh [Solid Phase Technology of Oxygen Control in Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants]. Novye promyshlennye tekhnologii - New Industrial Technologies, 2004, no. 3, pp. 30 34.
10. Askhadullin R.Sh., Simakov A.A., Legkikh A.Yu. Tverdofaznye okisliteli teplonositeley Pb-Bi i Pb dlya formirovaniya i sokhraneniya protivokorrozionnykh plenok na stalyakh [Solid Phase Oxidizers of Pb-Bi and Pb Coolants for the Formation and Preservation of Anticorrosion Films on Steels]. Novye promyshlennye tekhnologii - New Industrial Technologies, 2011, no. 1, pp. 33-39.
11. Legkikh A.Yu., Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh. Raschet massoobmennykh apparatov dlya obespecheniya zadannogo kislorodnogo rezhima v tyazhelom zhidkometallicheskom teplonositele [Computation of Mass Transfer Apparatus to Ensure the Preset Oxygen Regime in Heavy Liquid Metal Coolant]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2013, no. 1, pp. 80-91.
12. Askhadullin R.Sh., Martynov P.N., Rachkov V.I., Legkikh A.Yu. Raschetno-eksperimental'nye issledovaniya v obosnovanie massoobmennykh apparatov dlya obespecheniya zadannogo kislorodnogo rezhima v TZhMT (Pb, Pb-Bi) [Calculation and Experimental Studies in Justification of Mass Transfer Apparatus to Ensure the Preset Oxygen Regime in Heavy Liquid Metal Coolant (Pb, Pb-Bi)]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2014, no. 1, pp. 160-171.
13. Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh., Legkikh A.Yu. et al. Avtomatizirovannaya sistema upravleniya termodinamicheskoy aktivnost'yu kisloroda v svintsovom i svintsovo-vismutovom teplonositelyakh. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov "Izbrannye trudy FEI" [Automated System of Oxygen Thermodynamic Activity Control in Lead and Lead-Bismuth Coolants. Collection of Scientific Papers “Selected Papers of IPPE”]. Obninsk, IPPE, 2011. Pp. 188–191.