Authors & Affiliations
Varivtcev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu.
JSC “State Scientific Center – Research Institute of Atomic Reactors”, Dimitrovgrad, Russia
Varivtcev A.V. – Senior Researcher, JSC “State Scientific Center – Research Institute of Atomic Reactors”.
Experimental FA containing elements with effective neutron moderator (zirconium hydride) is proposed for new nuclear fuel types testing in the BOR-60 reactor. To justify the efficiency and safety of the proposed design to be used in the BOR-60 core, neutronic calculations were done using MCU code.
The calculation results show that the proposed EFA design makes it possible to increase the heat rate and fuel burnup rate significantly (by about 50%). It will also allow enlarging the BOR-60 capabilities in testing promising nuclear fuels.
As for the standard FA fuel pins neighboring to the EFA with a moderator, they demonstrate an increase in the heat rate and fuel burnup rate. This effect is the most notable in the first three rows of fuel pins located close to the EFA but the limited liner power of the standard FA fuel pins is not exceeded.
The proposed design was tested in the BOR-60 core and the calculation results were experimentally confirmed.
BOR-60 reactor, reactor core, fuel element, heat rate, moderator, zirconium hydride
1. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu., Izhutov A.L., Krasheninnikov Yu.M., Naboishchikov Yu.V., Neustroev V.S., Shamardin V.K. Prolongation of the BOR-60 operation. Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 2015, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 253–259.
2. Kislyy V.A., Maershin A.A., Solov'ev A.A. et al. Opyt primeneniya razbornogo obluchatel'nogo ustroystva reaktora BOR-60 dlya resheniya zadach ispytaniy toplivnykh i konstruktsionnykh materialov [Experience in the use of a collapsible irradiation device of the BOR-60 reactor for solving the problems of testing fuel and structural materials]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yadernaya tekhnika i tekhnologiya - Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Technology and Technology, 1995, no. 1, pp. 25-29.
3. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu. Raschetnye issledovaniya kharakteristik yacheyki reaktora BOR-60 so "smyagchennym" spektrom neytronov [Calculation studies of the characteristics of the BOR-60 reactor cell with a "softened" neutron spectrum]. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov GNTs NIIAR - Proceedings RIAR, 2007, no. 3, pp. 34–39.
4. Tellin A.I., Shimansky G.A., Yakovleva I.V. Local change of a neutron spectrum in the fast reactor BOR-60 for extension of research tasks. Osaka, ASTM International Publ., 2001. Pp. 260–267.
5. Gomin E., Maiorov L. The MCU Monte Carlo Code for 3D Depletion Calculation. Proc. Int. Conf. on Mathematics and Computation, Reactor Physics and Environmental Analyses in Nuclear Applications. Madrid, Spain, 1999, vol. 2, pp. 997–1006.
6. Zhemkov I.Yu. Kompleks avtomatizirovannogo rascheta kharakteristik reaktorov na bystrykh neytronakh [Complex of automated calculation of characteristics of reactors on fast neutrons]. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov GNTs NIIAR - Proceedings RIAR, 1996, no. 4, pp. 55–67.
7. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu. Improved Method for Calculating the Radiation Heat Generation in the BOR-60 Reactor. Physics of Atomic Nuclei, 2014, vol. 77, no. 14, pp. 1664–1670.
8. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu. Osobennosti raschetnogo opredeleniya teplovydeleniya v oksidnom yadernom toplive pri ispytaniyakh v reaktore BOR-60 [Peculiarities of the calculation of heat release in oxide nuclear fuel during tests in the BOR-60 reactor]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2013, no. 4, pp. 55-60.
9. Shalumov A.S., Vachenko A.S., Fadeev O.A., Bagaev D.V. Vvedenie v ANSYS. Prochnostnoy i teplovoy analiz [Introduction to ANSYS. Strength and thermal analysis]. Kovrov, KSTA Publ., 2008.
10. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu., Eremin S.G., Plotnikov A.I. Ustroystvo dlya ispytaniy yadernogo topliva reaktorov na bystrykh neytronov [Device for testing nuclear fuel for fast neutron reactors]. Patent RF, no. 2560919, 2015.