Authors & Affiliations
Varseev E.V.1, Alekxeev V.V.2, Konovalov M.A.2
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Varseev E.V. – specialist in international activities in vocational training of the first category, International Center for NPP Personnel Training Technical Academy of Rosatom.
Konovalov M.A. – thermal engineer 2 categories, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
For simulation of reactor circuit equipment and components 3D computational fluid dynamics codes (CFD codes) are widely used today. Extending their functionaity for calculating mass transfer and using them along with best estimate codes can significantly increase the efficiency of a nuclear power plant's safety analysis. In this paper we consider the use of an open CFD code for simulation of impurity retention in purification devices, taking into account the transport of particulate phase, which is a real problem for both water cooled heat exchangers and liquid metal cooled reactors. The paper proposes an improved version of the solver for simulation OD heat and mass transfer in a sodium coolant, taking into account the simultaneous presence of both oxygen and hydrogen. The paper presents the results of test calculations in a channel with sodium using a modified solver. Based on this, the results of calculating the process of particulate transport and streamlines in the model are presented in the paper. The results of calculations can be used to analyze the operation of sodium purification devices from impurities.
liquid metals, solver, CFD codes, sodium, impurities, particle, oxygen, hydrogen, modeling, mass transfer, test calculations
1. Semenov V.N., Filippov M.F., Tsaun S.V. Modelirovaniye perenosa i povedeniya radioaktivnykh produktov deleniya s pomoshch’yu koda SOKRAT-BN [Modeling the transport and behavior of radioactive fission products using the code SOCRAT-BN].Trudy konferentsii molodykh spetsialistov[Proc. conf. of young professionals]. Moscow, 2015, pp. 37.
2. Varseyev E.V., Konovalov M.A., Alekseyev V.V. Rezul’taty chislennogo modelirovaniya tep-lomasoobmena v makete kholodnoy lovushki [Results of numerical simulation of heat and mass transfer in a cold trap layout]. Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedeniy. Fizika - Proceedings of higher educational institutions. Physics, 2015, vol. 58, no. 12-3, pp. 29-34.
3. Alekseyev V.V., Kozlov F.A., Sorokin A.P., Varseyev E.V., Kumayev V.YA., Kondrat’yev A.S. Raschety massoperenosa primesey v kholodnykh lovushkakh s natriyevym okhlazhdeniyem [alculations of mass transfer of impurities in cold traps with sodium cooling]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2015, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 257-261.
4. Khatcheressian N., Latge C., Joulia X., Gilardi T., Meyer X. Modelling of Cold Traps for Sodium purification in Fast Reactor. Proc. 22nd European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering. London, 2012, pp. 5.
5. Latge C., Lagrange M., Suraniti M., Ricard J.B., Development of a new cold trap concept for Fast Breeder Reactors. Proc. 4th LIMET Conference. Avignon, France, 1988.
6. Khatcheressian N., Latge C., Joulia X., Gilardi T., Meyer X. Monti S. Development of a mass transfer model for Sodium purification system in a Fast Breeder Reactor. Proc. Int. Conf. “Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13)”. Paris, 2013, pp. 10.
7. Varseev E.V., Kornienko Yu.N. Mass Transfer Simulation Model for Justification Sodium Purification System Characteristics. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Next Generation Nuclear Systems for Sustainable Development (FR17). Yekatarinburg, 2017.
8. Volchkov L.G., Il’inov Yu.P., Kozlov F.A., Nalimov Yu.P. Massoobmen primesey v potoke natriya [Mass transfer of impurities in the flow of sodium]. Trudy II Simpoziuma stran-chlenov SEHV [Proceedings of the II Symposium of the CMEA member countries]. Obninsk, 1973, vol. 2, pp. 203.
9. Varseev E.V., Alekseev V.V. Mass Transfer of Corrosion Products in the Nonisothermal Sodium Loop of a Fast Reactor. Journal of Engineering Physics and Thermophysics, 2014, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1532-1538.
10. Meng X. Coupling of nanofluid flow, heat transfer and nanoparticles sedimentation using OpenFOAM. Doctoral thesis, University of London, (2017). Available at: http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/17350/ (accessed 12.05.2018).
12. Alekseyev V.V., Kozlov F.A., Sorokin A.P., Trufanov A.A., Kryuchkov E.A., Varseyev E.V., Konovalov M.A., Torbenkova I.Yu. Ispytaniya na natriyevom stende modeli kholodnoy lovushki [Tests on the sodium bench model cold trap]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2017, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 29-33.