Authors & Affiliations
Boyarinov V.F., Grol A.V., Fomichenko P.A.
National Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”, Moscow, Russia
Boyarinov V.F. – Head of Laboratory, Dr. Sci. (Tech.), National Research Center “Kurchatov Institute”.
Fomichenko P.A. – Deputy Head of Complex, National Research Center “Kurchatov Institute”.
The purpose of this work is to estimate the uncertainties of the neutron multiplication factor and the isotopic composition of the high temperature gas cooled reactor (HTGR) fuel composition arising from the manufacturing uncertainties of the fuel parameters: the uncertainty of the geometric dimensions and number densities of materials. For the evaluation of mentioned characteristics a model of MHTRG-350 fuel block is used.
The code SUSA 4.0 (Software for Uncertainty and Sensitivity Analyses) is used to estimate uncertainties and sensitivity coefficients. The analysis is based on multiple calculations using the WIMSD-5 code with selected sets of randomly distributed input parameters. The distributions of the calculated functionals are characterized by mathematical expectations and standard deviations. The results of uncertainty analysis are used as a base for sensitivity coefficients estimation.
HTGR, uncertainty analysis, sensitivity analysis, technological parameters, WIMSD-5, SUSA 4.0, reactor fuel burnup
1. Ortensi J. et al. Prismatic Coupled Neutronics/Thermal Fluids Transient Benchmark of the MHTGR-350 MW Core Design: Benchmark Definition. OECD Nuclear Energy Agency, NEA/NSC/DOC DRAFT (03/01/2013).
2. Bowman S.M. SCALE 6: Comprehensive Nuclear Safety Analysis Code System. Nuclear Technology, 2011, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 126-148.
3. Askew J.R., Fayers F.J., Kemshell P.B. A General Description of the Lattice Code WIMS. JBWES, 1966, pp. 564.
4. Kloos M. SUSA Version 4.0. User’s Guide and Tutorial. GRS-P-5, Rev.1, 2015.
5. Maki J.T. AGR 1 Irradiation Experiment Test Plan. INL/EXT 05 00593, Rev. 3, 2009.
6. NEA, Temperature effect on reactivity in VHTRC 1 core. VHTRC GCR EXP 001, CRIT COEF, NEA/NSC/DOC(2006)2, 2006.
7. Collin B.P., Humrickhouse P.W. AGR 3/4 Irradiation Experiment Test Plan. PLN 3867, Rev. 0, October 2011.