Authors & Affiliations
Kalugin M.A., Kuznetcov A.N., Oleynik D.S., Shkarovsky D.A.
National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute"
Kalugin M.A. – Scientific Director of the Kurchatov Nuclear Power Complex, Dr. Sci. (Tech.), National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute".
Kuznetcov A.N. – Engineer-Researcher, National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute". Contacts: 1, Akademika Kurchatova pl., Moscow, Russia, 123182. Tel: +7 (499) 196-92-76; e-mail:
Oleynik D.S. – Head of Software Quality audit Laboratory, National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute".
Shkarovsky D.A. – Head of the Division of Benchmark Calculations of Nuclear Reactors, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), National Research Center "Kurchatov Institute".
The paper describes the realization of upgrade precision Monte Carlo program MCU-PTR for intro-duction energy deposition of delayed gammas in energy release calculations. For this, based on the next position approximations are applied: after some time of reactor operation delayed gammas spectrum reaches asymptotic behavior and then does not change. This modification allows to take into account both promptly and delayed photons in spectrum of generation photons in neutron-photon task. The application of this approach was verified by calculating the task 2b of the VERA benchmark and by comparing the results with similar Serpent code results, which showed their good coincidence in spite of the various approaches in accounting for delayed photon radiation. This modification of the MCU-PTR program allows one to obtain the full value of radiation energy release in a nuclear reactor as a result of a single neutron-photon calculation. Thus, labor costs for performing such calculations are reduced, since now it is not necessary to perform additional calculation of the photon problem with a source of delayed photons.
MCU, Monte Carlo, energy deposition, heating, photon transport
1. Alexeev N.I., Gomin E.A., Marin S.V., Nasonov V.A., Shkarovsky D.A. MCU-PTR Code for Precision Calculation of Pool and Tank Types Research Reactors. Atomic Energy, 2010, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 123—129.
2. Kalugin M.A., Oleynik D.S., Shkarovsky D.A. Overview of the MCU Monte Carlo Software Package. Annals of Nuclear Energy, 2015, vol. 82, pp. 54–62.
3. Bikeev A.S., Kalugin M.A., Kuznetcov A.N., Shkarovsky D.A. Realizatsiya vozmozhnosti rascheta radiatsionnogo energovydeleniya v programme MCU-PTR s ispol'zovaniem KERMA-faktorov [Implementation of the possibilities the radiation energy release calculating in the MCU-PTR program using kerma factors]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty - Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constans, 2018, no. 4, pp. 15—22.
4. Marin S.V., Oleynik D.S., Sukhino-Khomenko E.A., Shkarovsky D.A., Yudkevich M.S. Raschet teplovydeleniya v materialakh yadernogo reaktora metodom Monte-Karlo [Nuclear Heating Calcilations fo Reactor Structural Materials by Monte Carlo Method]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2016, no. 5, pp. 27—35.
5. Godfrey A. VERA Core Physics Benchmark Progression Problem Specifications, Revision 4, CASL Technical Report: CASL-U-2012-0131-004 (2014).
6. Tuominen R., Valtavirta V., Leppänen J. New energy deposition treatment in the Serpent 2 Monte Carlo transport code. Annals of Nuclear Energy, 2019, vol. 129, pp. 224—232.