Authors & Affiliations
Grabezhnoy V.A., Lomakov G.B.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Grabezhnoy V.A. – Senior Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Phys.-Math.).
Lomakov G.B. – Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Tech.). Contacts: 1, pl. Bondarenko, Obninsk, Kaluga region, Russia, 249033. Tel.: +7 (484) 399-54-83; e-mail:
The work is devoted to evaluating the accuracy of using the BNAB-RF system of constants together with the discrete ordinate method and the KATRIN-2.5 and CASCAD codes (IPM RAS) for studying the passage of neutrons and photons through water and steel gratings. The results of calculating the benchmark models for radiation protection from the SINBAD database are presented, namely, the ASPIS Neutron / Gamma-Ray Transport Through Waiter / Steel Arrays, NESDIP-2 Benchmark Experiment and NESDIP-3 Benchmark Experiment models, which were located in experimental channel of the NESTOR reactor. As a neutron source, a disk made of an alloy of uranium and aluminum irradiated with a stream of thermal neutrons leaving the NESTOR reactor was used. Protective compositions consisted of steel containers with water and plates of various steels (stainless steel and mild steel). Measurements of the passage of ionizing radiation were carried out using foils placed between steel plates or immersed in water at different distances from the neutron source. The calculations of neutron and photon reactions were carried out using the discrete ordinate method in 3D and 2D geometries KATRIN-2.5 and CASCADE, respectively. The constant systems BNAB-93 and BNAB-RF were used as group libraries. We can especially note the calculated estimates for the passage of gamma radiation presented here, obtained from the reaction (n-gamma) in the materials of the ASPIS installation. The results of calculations showed a good agreement of the calculated values with the experimental data. Based on the obtained numerical results, the BNAB-RF constant system was verified as applied to the calculation of radiation protection from ionizing radiation passing through water and steel gratings.
systems of constants BNAB-93, BNAB-RF, KATRIN-2.5 and KASKAD codes, method of discrete ordinates, SINBAD database, ASPIS, NESDIP-2, NESDIP-3, Nestor reactor, water, steel plates, reaction (n-gamma)
1. Avery A.F., Butler J., Curl I.J., Hoare C.J., Miller P.C., Packwood A., Pike C. A Benchmark Experiment to Validate Coupled Neutron/Gamma Ray Transport Methods for Water/Steel Arrays, RP&SG/IJC/P(87)52 (1987).
2. Winfrith ASPIS Neutron/Gamma-Ray Transport Through Water/Steel Arrays (in SINBAD-2010.05: Shielding Integral Benchmark Archive and Database, Version May 2010. RSICC Data Library Collection, package DLC-237).
3. Voloschenko A.M., Shvetsov A.V. KASKAD-C-3.0 – programma dlya resheniya uravneniya perenosa nejtronov, fotonov i zaryazhennogo izlucheniya metodom diskretnyh ordinat v dvumernyh geometriyah. Instrukciya dlya pol’zovatelya. Otchet IPM RAN, inv. №6-2-2014, M., 2014.
4. Voloschenko A.M., Kryuchkov V.P. KATRIN-2.5 – programma dlja reshenija uravnenija perenosa nejtronov, fotonov i zarjazhennogo izluchenija metodom diskretnyh ordinat v trehmernoj geometrii. Instrukcija dlja pol’zovatelja. Otchet IPM im M.V. Keldysha RAN inv. № 6-21-2011, M., 2011.
5. Zabrodskaya S.V., Ignatyuk A.V., Koshcheev V.N., Manohin V.N., Nikolaev M.N., Pronyaev V.G., ROSFOND – rossijskaya natsionalnaya biblioteka otsenennyh nejtronnyh dannyh [ROSFOND – Russian National Library of Evaluated Neutron Data]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yadernye konstanty - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Nuclear Constants, 2007, no. 1–2, pp. 3–21.
6. Manturov G.N., Nikolaev M.N., Tsiboulia A.M. Sistema gruppovyh constant BNAB-93. Chast’ 1. Yadernye konstanty dlya rascheta nejtronnyh i fotonnyh polej izlucheniya [System of group constants BNAB-93. Part 1. Nuclear constants for calculating neutron and photon radiation fields]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yadernye konstanty – Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Nuclear Constants, 1996, no. 1–2, pp. 59.
7. Kodeli I., Milocco A., Ortego P., Sartori E. 20 Years of SINBAD (Shielding Integral Benchmark Archive and Database). Progress in Nuclear Science and Technology, 2014, vol. 4, pp. 308–311.
8. Shielding Integral Benchmark Archive and Database SINBAD 2000. DLC-191, ORNL, 2000.
UDC 539.1:621.373.826, 539.1:519.7