Authors & Affiliations
Dolgikh V.P., Zabrodskaya S.V., Lebedeva O.М., Popov E.P., Smykov V.B.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Belov A.A.1 – Researcher, Nuclear Safety Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Bikeev A.S.2 – Head of Software Laboratory.
Shkarovskiy D.A.2 – Head of the Division of Benchmark Calculations of Nuclear Reactors, Cand. Sci. (Tech.)
At present, the BN-600 and BN-800 reactors are used for tests of experimental fuel assemblies containing MOX and MNUP fuels. For transportation of spent fuel assemblies of BN-600 with mixed nitride uranium-plutonium fuel is planned to use a regular transport container containing 35 fuel assemblies. The purpose of the work is to develop a calculation model of the transport container containing 35 fuel assemblies and radiation safety evaluation of the transport container during carting spent MNUP fuel of BN-600 using the MCU-FR Monte Carlo code. The developed model of the experimental fuel assembly is integrated into the developed calculation model of the transport container. The resulting model was used to calculate the equivalent dose rate from sources of ionizing radiation in the fuel. The azimuthal and radial distributions of the equivalent dose rate in the plane of the FA core center were considered. In the course of radiation safety evaluation, it was shown that under normal transportation conditions, the maximum total calculated radiation levels on the container surface are determined by primary photon radiation and do not exceed the established limit of 10 mSv/h under exclusive use. The developed model of the transport container and the calculation results obtained by means of the MCU-FR code will be used to prepare the validation base of the ODETTA calculation code.
MCU-FR, Monte Carlo method, computer modelling, mixed nitride uranium-plutonium fuel, spent nuclear fuel, radiation safety, transport container
1. Portal "Atomic energy 2.0" [Atomic Energy 2.0 Portal]. Available at: http://www.atomic-energy.ru/news/2019/05/13/94555 (accessed October 10, 2019).
2. Egorov A.V. et al. Obosnovanie i optimizatsiya perekhoda RBN v rezhim zamykaniya toplivnogo tsikla [Confirmation and optimization of the transition of the RBN to the fuel cycle closure mode]. Trudy otraslevoy konferentsii "Zamykanie toplivnogo tsikla yadernoy energetiki na baze reaktorov na bystrykh neytronakh" [Proc. industry conference "Closing the fuel cycle of nuclear power based on fast reactors"]. Tomsk, 2018, pp. 209–220.
3. Sychugova E.P., Belousov V.I., Seleznev S.A. Aprobatsiya koda ODETTA na eksperimentakh po zashchite reaktora [Testing the ODETTA code in reactor protection experiments]. Trudy 10 mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii "Bezopasnost', effektivnost' i ekonomika atomnoy energetiki" MNTK-2016 [Proc.10th Int. Sci. and Techn. Conf. "Safety, efficiency and economics of nuclear energy" MNTK-2016]. Moscow, 2016, pp. 266–273.
4. Gurevich M.I. et al. Kharakternye osobennosti MCU-FR [Characteristic Features of the MCU-FR code]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov – Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2016, no. 5, pp. 17–21.
5. Asatryan D.S. et al. Kompleks programm GEFEST800 dlya provedeniya ekspluatatsionnykh raschetov neytronno-fizicheskikh kharakteristik BN-800 v statsionarnom rezhime [GEFEST800 software package for carrying out operational calculations of neutron-physical characteristics of BN-800 in stationary mode]. Atomnaya energiya – Atomic Energy, 2015, vol. 118, no. 6, pp. 303–309.
6. Belov A.A., Seleznev E.F. Reshenie zadachi nuklidnoy kinetiki s polnoy matritsey perekhodov nuklidov [Solution of the problem of nuclide kinetics with a full matrix of nuclide transitions. Izvestiya RAN. Energetika – Bulletin of the RAS. Energy, 2013, no. 3, pp. 41–52.
7. Koshcheev V.N., et al. Biblioteka gruppovykh konstant BNAB-RF dlya raschetov reaktorov i zashchity [BNAB-RF library of group constants for reactor calculations and protection]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika – Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2014, no. 3, pp. 93–101.
8. Wagner J.C. Acceleration of Monte Carlo Shielding Calculations with an Automated Variance Reduction Technique and Parallel Processing. Cand. Sci. Techn. Diss. Pennsylvania State University, 1997.
9. Egorov Yu.A. Osnovy radiatsionnoy bezopasnosti atomnykh elektrostantsiy [Fundamentals of radiation safety of nuclear power plants]. Moscow, Energoizdat Publ., 1982. 272 p.
10. Center for collective use "Complex of modeling and data processing of mega-class research installations" NRC "Kurchatov Institute". Available at: http://ckp.nrcki.ru (accessed 12.09.2019).
11. NRB-99-2009. Radiation Safety Standards. Sanitary rules and regulations SanPiN 18.104.22.1683- 09. Moscow, Standart Publ., 2009.