Authors & Affiliations
Gomin E.A., Davidenko V.D., Shirokov R.V.
National Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”, Moscow, Russia
Gomin E.A. – Senior Researcher.
Davidenko V.D. – Department Head, Dr. Sci. (Techn.) . Contacts: 1, pl. Kurchatov, Moscow, Russia, 123182. Tel.: +7 (499) 196-96-73; e-mail:
Shirokov R.V. – Senior Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Phys.-Math.).
The article presents the results of testing the KIR code designed to solve the neutron transfer equation by the Monte Carlo method, based on available experimental data from the international Bank ICSBEP on solution benchmarks. The KIR program is part of the DAREUS program complex designed for modeling dynamic processes in solution reactors. Computer models of 13 critical assemblies were created. The total number of calculated configurations was 137. The results were analyzed and the calculation errors were determined both in comparison with the experiment and with other programs. In most cases, the calculated keff multiplication factor falls within the experimental error. The obtained calculation results show a mean square deviation of the multiplication coefficient of 0.7 % for all calculated configurations of experimental assemblies. However, for a number of assemblies, there are significant differences in the assessment. Similar deviations in the calculated values of keff were observed in a variety of previously performed calculations for other codes. The article presents the main factors affecting the results of calculations. Mainly they are related to the insufficiently complete description of experiments submitted to the ICSBEP International Bank.
Monte Carlo method, solution reactor, benchmark, multiplication factor, statistical error, experimental error
1. Gomin E.A., Davidenko V.D., Davidenko O.V., Kovalishin A.A., Laletin M.N., Pavlov A.K. Programmnyy kompleks DAREUS dlya modelirovaniya dinamiki rastvornykh reaktorov s ispol’zovaniyem metoda Monte-Karlo [DAREUS software package for modeling the dynamics of solution reactors using the Monte Carlo method]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2017, no. 5, pp. 4.
2. Gomin E.A., Davidenko V.D., Davidenko O.V., Kovalishin A.A., Laletin M.N., Myasnikov S.V., Pavlov A.K., Pavshchk V.A., Petrunin N.V. Raschetno-eksperimental’nyye obosnovaniya yadernoy bezopasnosti rastvornogo reaktora “Argus” [Calculation and Experimental Substantiation of Nuclear Safety of the “Argus” Solution Reactor]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornyye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Reactor Constants, 2018, no. 2, pp. 113.
3. Gomin E.A., Davidenko V.D., Zinchenko A.S., KHarchenko I.K. Modelirovaniye kinetiki yadernogo reaktora metodom Monte-Karlo [Nuclear Reactor Kinetics Simulation by Monte Carlo Method]. Voprosy atomnoj nauki i tehniki. Serija: Physika yadernyh reactorov – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2016, no. 5, pp. 4.
4. International Handbook of Evaluated Criticality Safety Benchmark Experiments. NEA/NSC/DOC (95) 03, 2019.
5. Mnogotselevoy vychislitel’nyy kompleks NITS “Kurchatovskiy institute” [Multipurpose Computing Complex of the National Research Center “Kurchatov Institute”]. Available at: http://computing.kiae.ru/ (accessed 20.10.2020).