Authors & Affiliations
Namakonov V.V., Andreyev S.A., Gabbasov D.M., Moseyeva A.R., Sergina D.I.
Federal State Unitary Enterprise “Russian Federal Nuclear Center – Zababakhin All-Russia Research Institute of Technical Physics”, Snezhinsk, Russia
Namakonov V.V. – Engineer. Contacts: post box 245, 13, Vasilyev st., Snezhinsk, Chelyabinsk region, Russia, 456770. Tel.: +7 (35146) 5-11-49; e-mail:
Andreyev S.A. – Head of Department, Cand.Sci. (Phys.-Math.).
Gabbasov D.M. – Engineer.
Moseyeva A.R – Engineer.
Sergina D.I. – Engineer.
The results of experiments on transmission of 14 MeV neutrons through lithium hydride layers of thickness up to 25 cm are presented in the article. The measurements were performed with time-of-flight method on a pulse channel of neutron generator NG-12I. The operating mode of the neutron generator is pulse-periodic. Neutrons passing through the layers of Li hydrides were registered by detector based on a 70×70 mm stilbene crystal scintillator. NIM standard modules were used as measuring equipment. The neutron yield from the generator target was estimated by neutron monitor with a fluorine plastic activation detector. Activity of radiation-exposed neutron activation detectors was measured using a gamma spectrometer with high purity germanium detector (HPGe). The averaged 14 MeV neutrons flux from the target was ∼2⋅108 n/s. The measurement results were used to obtain instrumental neutron spectra for samples of various thicknesses and to estimate coefficients of 14 MeV neutrons passing through the layers of Li hydrides. The obtained results can be used for validation of neutron-physical calculations and for improvement of neutron constants libraries.
14 MeV neutron generator, lithium hydride, neutron spectra, scintillation detector, neutron transmission coefficients
1. Goryachev I.G., Kolevatov Yu.I., Semenov V.P., Trykov L.A. Integral'nyye eksperimenty v probleme perenosa ioniziruyushchikh izlucheniy [Integral Experiment in Radiation Fluence Problem]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1985.
2. Andreyev S.A., Gabbasov D.M., Zatsepin O.V., Namakonov V.V., Sokolov Yu.A., Khatuntsev K.E., Khmel'nitskiy D.V. Izmereniye spektral'nykh kharakteristik gamma-neytronnogo izlucheniya pri vzaimodeystvii 14 MeV-neytronov s konstruktsionnymi materialami [Measurement of Spectral Response Characteristics of Gamma-Neutron Radiation at Interaction of 14 MeV Neutrons with Engineered Materials]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornyye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constants, 2018, no. 2, pp.161–173.
3. Voronin G.G., Morozov A.V., Mokichev G.V. et al. Sovremennoye sostoyaniye i perspektivy razvitiya generatora neytronov NG-12I dlya neytronnoy terapii i prikladnykh issledovaniy [Actual Status and Future Development of Neutron Generator NG-12I for Neutron Therapy and Applied Research]. Atomnaya energiya – Atomic Energy, 2003, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 166–171.
4. Abramov A.I., Kazanskiy Yu.A., Matusevich E.S. Osnovy eksperimental'nykh metodov yadernoy fiziki [Fundamentals of Nuclear Physics Experimental Approaches]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1985.
5. Kramer-Ageyev E.A., Troshin V.S., Tikhonov E.G. Aktivatsionnyye metody spektrometrii neytronov [Neutron Spectrometry Activation Methods]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1976.