Authors & Affiliations
Shlepkin A.S., Morozov A.V., Sakhipgareev A.R., Kalaykin D.S.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Morozov A.V. – Leading Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Techn.).
Sakhipgareev A.R. – Junior Researcher.
Kalaykin D.S. – Deputy Head of Laboratory, Cand. Sci. (Techn.).
The article presents the results of experimental studies of the thermophysical (density, viscosity) and physicochemical (degree of acidity – pH) properties of water solutions of boric acid. A review of the available literature data on the effect of the properties of boric acid solutions on heat removal from the reactor core is presented. It has been established that the available information is very general and does not cover the entire range of parameters (temperature, pressure, acid concentration) characteristic of a possible emergency at a nuclear power plant with a VVER reactor. Methods and facilities for conducting experimental studies are described. The results of experimental studies are presented. The density of aqueous solutions of boric acid with a concentration of 2.5–450 g/kg Н2О at a temperature of 25–130 °C was determined. The dependence of the investigated characteristic on temperature and concentration was also obtained. The results of an experimental study of the kinematic viscosity of water solutions of boric acid with a concentration of 2.5–200 g/kg H2O at a temperature of 25–90 °C were obtained. The total error in measuring the viscosity of aqueous solutions of boric acid did not exceed 2 %. The pH values of water solutions of boric acid in the temperature range 25–50 and concentrations of 2.5–450 g/kg H2O were determined. The dependence for calculating the degree of acidity of boric acid is obtained. Experimental data on the thermophysical and physicochemical properties of water solutions of boric acid can be used to refine the results of calculations of emergency heat removal processes in a reactor facility, carried out using both one-dimensional calculation programs and three-dimensional CFD codes.
VVER, passive safety systems, core, boric acid, crystallization, viscosity, dencity, pH
- Berkovich V.M., Taranov G.S., Kalyakin S.G., Remizov O.V., Morozov A.V. Razrabotka i obosnovanie tekhnologii udaleniya nekondensiruyushchihsya gazov dlya obespecheniya rabotosposobnosti sistemy passivnogo otvoda tepla [Development and justification of the technology for removing non-condensable gases to ensure the operability of the passive heat removal system]. Atomic Energy, 2006, vol. 100, pp. 13.
- Berkovich V.M., Taranov G.S., Kalyakin S.G., Remizov O.V., Morozov A.V. Razrabotka i obosnovanie tekhnologii udaleniya nekondensiruyushchihsya gazov dlya obespecheniya rabotosposobnosti sistemy passivnogo otvoda tepla [Experimental study of nonequilibrium thermohydraulic processes in the passive flooding system of the VVER reactor core]. Thermal Engineering, 2012, vol. 5, p. 16.
- Morozov A.V., Remizov O.V., Tsyganok A.A. Non-condensable gases effect on steam condensation heat transfer in horizontal tube bundle. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 2010, vol. 102, p. 676.
- Morozov A.V., Pityk A.V., Ragulin S.V., Sahipgareev A.R., Shlepkin A.S. The effect of mass transfer processes on accumulation and crystallization of boric acid in VVER core in case of accident. Proc. Int. Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants, ICAPP 2017. Fukui and Kyoto, Japan, 2017.
- Bates R.G. Determination of PH: Theory and Practice. New York, Wiley Publ., 1964. 435 p.
- Karapet'yanc M.H., Drakin S.I. Obshchaya i neorganicheskaya himiya [General and inorganic chemistry]. Moscow, Khimiya Publ., 1981. 630 p.
- Cotton F.A., Wilkinson G. Sovremennaya neorganicheskaya himiya [Advanced inorganic chemistry]. Moscow, Mir Publ., 1969. 1500 p.
- Gavrilov A.V., Krickij V.G., Rodionov Yu.A., Berezina I.G. Povedenie bornoj kisloty v 1-m konture VVER i ee vliyanie na massoperenos v aktivnoj zone [Behavior of boric acid in the 1st loop of VVER and its influence on mass transfer in the core]. Trudy 8 mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii “Obespechenie bezopasnosti AES s VVER” [Proc. 8th Int. Sci. and Techn. Conf. “Ensuring the Safety of NPP with VVER”]. Podolsk, 2013. Available at: http://www.gidropress.podolsk.ru/files/proceedings/mntk2013/documents/mntk2013-088.pdf (accessed 11.05.2021).
- Azizov N.D., Ahundow T.S. Termicheskie svojstva vodnyh rastvorov bornoj kisloty pri 298–573 K [Thermal properties of aqueous solutions of boric acid at 298–573 K]. Teplofizika vysokikh temperature – Thermophysics of High Temperatures, 1996, vol. 34, p. 798.
- Summary of Tests to Determine the Physical Properties of Buffered and Unbuffered Boric Acid Solutions. WCAP-17021-NP, Rev, 2009.
- Avanesyan A.S., Ahundov T.S. Eksperimental'noe issledovanie koefficienta dinamicheskoj vyazkosti vodnyh rastvorov bornoj kisloty [Experimental study of the coefficient of dynamic viscosity of aqueous solutions of boric acid]. Preprint AN ArmSSR – Preprint Academy of Sciences of the ArmSSR. Erevan, 1980.
- Gusejnov G.G., Gusejnov E.G. Issledovanie teploprovodnosti vodnyh rastvorov elektrolitov i poristyh materialov, nasyshchennyh flyuidom [Investigation of the thermal conductivity of aqueous solutions of electrolytes and porous materials saturated with fluid]. Baki. Fizika. Elm., 2007, vol. 13, issue 1–2, pp. 13–25.
- Yassin A.Hassan, Serdar Osturk, Saya Lee. Rheological characterization of buffered boric acid aqueous solutions in light water reactors. Progress in Nuclear Engineering, 2015, vol. 85, р. 239.
- Tuunanen J., Tuomisto J., Raussi P. Experimental and analytical studies of boric acid concentrations in a VVER-440 reactor during the long-term cooling period of loss-of coolant accidents. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 1992, vol. 148, issue 2-3, pp. 217–231.
- Simanova S.A. Novyj spravochnik himika i tekhnologa. Himicheskoe ravnovesie. Svojstva rastvorov [New handbook of chemist and technologist. Chemical equilibrium. Properties of solutions]. St. Petersburg, ANO NPO “Professional” Publ., 2004. 998 p.
- Glinka N.L. Obshchaya himiya [General chemistry]. Leningrad, Khimiya Publ., 1985. 702 p.
- Morozov A.V., Sorokin A.P., Ragulin S.V., Pityk A.V., Sahipgareev A.R., Soshkina A.S., Shlepkin A.S. Effect of Boric Acid Mass Transfer on the Accumulation Thereof in a Fuel Core under Emergency Modes at NPPs with WMR. Thermal Engineering, 2017, vol. 64, pp. 490–495.
- Manov G.G., DeLollis N.J., Lindvall P.W., Acree S.F. Effect of sodium chloride on the apparent ionization constant of boric acid and the pH values of borate solutions. Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, 1946, vol. 36, p. 543.