Authors & Affiliations
Belavina E.A.2, Belyaev I.A.1, Pyatnitskaya N.Yu.1
1 Joint Institute for High Temperatures of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
2 National Research University “Moscow Power Engineering Institute”, Moscow, Russia
Pyatnitskaya N.Yu. – Senior Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Techn.).
Belyaev I.A. – Head of Laboratory, Cand. Sci. (Techn.).
The possibility of using molten salts based on fluorides as a coolant in promising developments in nuclear power systems requires solving several key scientific and technical problems. These problems are associated with development of reliable structural materials and study of thermophysical characteristics of coolant. Solution to the latter problem was constrained by lack of reliable systematic data on physical and chemical properties, specificity of heat transfer processes, and operation technology of promising compositions of fluoride molten salt. In this regard, a comprehensive study, consisting of studying properties of promising fluoride salt melts, as well as creating an experimental base for verification of engineering calculations, is of particular interest for design of reactor facilities. In course of the work, specifics of interaction of electromagnetic forces and buoyancy forces during MHD heat transfer of molten salt, which can manifest itself in the formation of local overheating points or quasi-stationary flow regimes accompanied by low-frequency temperature fluctuations, were experimentally investigated. For first time, dependences of heat transfer coefficients in a stream under influence of a magnetic field in an extended range of operating parameters were experimentally obtained. The results are compared with known patterns and numerical modeling.
molten salt, heat transfer, experimental studies, hydrodynamics, MHD, probe measurements, mixed convection
Article Text (PDF, in Russian)
- Dementiev B.A. Yadernye energeticheskie reaktory [Nuclear Power Reactors]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1978. Pp. 124–128.
- Blinkin V.L., Novikov V.M. Zhidkosolevye yadernye reaktory [Molten salt nuclear reactors]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1978. 1112 p.
- Furukawa K. Symbiotic molten-salt system coupled with accelerator molten salt breeder (AMSB) or inertial confined fusion hybrid molten salt breeder (IHMSB) and their comparison. Atomkernenergie Kerntechnik, 1984, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 42–44.
- Novikov V.М. Molten salt reactor and molten salt carriers for industrial heat supply. Proc. of the Int. Conf. “Emerging nuclear energy systems”. 1987, pp. 199–201.
- Taube M. Fast and thermal molten salt reactors with improved inherent safety. Proc. of the TANS Summer Meeting, 1981, pp. 490–498.
- Novikov V.M., Ignatiev V.V. Problemy ispol'zovaniya zhidkosolevykh teplonositeley, blanketnykh zonakh termoyadernykh reaktorov s magnitnym polem [Problems of using molten salt coolants blanket zones of thermonuclear reactors with a magnetic field]. Magnitnaya gidrodinamika – Magnetohydrodynamics, 1980, no. 4, pp. 119–124.
- Silverman M.D., Huntley W.R., Robertson H.E. Heat transfer measurements in a forced convection loop with two molten-fluoride salts: LiF-BeF2-ThF4-UF4 and NaBF4-NaF. Oak-Ridge: Rep. ORNL/TM-5335, 1976, Nov.
- Belyaev I.A., Biryukov D.A., Belavina E.A., Sviridov V.G. Experimental study of molten salt mixed convection in a pipe affected by transverse magnetic field. Magnetohydrodynamics, 2019, vol. 55, no. 1/2, pp. 241–250.
- Belyaev I.A., Biryukov D.A., Kotlyar A.V., Belavina E.A., Sardov P.A., Sviridov V.G. Heat transfer in the mixed convection of the molten salt in the presence of magnetic fields. Technical Physics Letters, 2019, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 499–502.
- Belyaev I.A., Biryukov D.A., Kotlyar A.V., Belavina E.A., Listratov Y.I., Sviridov V.G. Osobennosti smeshannoy konvektsii rasplava soli v magnitnykh polyakh [Features of mixed convection of molten salt in magnetic fields]. Fizicheskoe obrazovanie v vuzakh – Physical Education in Universities, 2019, vol. 25, no. 2C, pp. 22–23.
- Belavina E.A., Belyaev I.A., Biryukov D.A., Kotlyar A.V., Listratov Ya.I., Roznin I.M., Sviridov V.G. Teploobmen pri smeshannoy konvektsii rasplava soli v prisutstvii magnitnykh poley [Heat transfer during mixed convection of molten salt in magnetic fields]. Trudy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii “Teplofizika – 2018” [Proc. of the Sci. and Technical Conference “Thermophysics – 2018”], 2018, p. 71.
- Belyaev I.A., et al. Test facility for investigation of heat transfer of promising coolants for the nuclear power industry. Thermal Engineering 2017, vol. 64, no. 11, pp. 841–848.
- Belyaev I., Razuvanov N., Sviridov V., Zagorsky V. Temperature correlation velocimetry technique in liquid metals. Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, 2017, vol. 55, pp. 37–43.
- Roberto Serrano-López, Jordi Fradera, Santiago Cuesta-López. Molten salts database for energy applications. Chemical Engineering & Processing: Process Intensiﬁcation, 2013, vol. 73, pp. 87–102.
- Akerlof Gosta, Bender Paul. The Density of Aqueous Solutions of Potassium Hydroxide. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 1941, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 1085–1088.
- Dawn M. See and Ralph E. White. Temperature and Concentration Dependence of the Specific Conductivity of Concentrated Solutions of Potassium Hydroxide. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 1997, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1266–1268.
- Tham Min J., Gubbins Keith E., and Walker Robert Dixon Jr. Densities of potassium hydroxide solutions. Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, 1967, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 525–526.
- Gilliama R.J., Graydonb J.W., Kirkb D.W., Thorpea S.J. A review of speciﬁc conductivities of potassium hydroxide solutions for various concentrations and temperatures. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2007, no. 32, pp. 359–364.
- Belyaev I.A., Zakharova O.D., Krasnoshchekova T.E., Sviridov V.G., Sukomel L.A. Therm. Eng., 2016, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 214–221.
- Petukhov B.S., Polyakov A.F., Launder B.E. Heat transfer in turbulent mixed convection. New York, Hemisphere Publ., 1988, 216 p.
- Petukhov B.C., Kirillov V.V. K voprosu o teploobmene pri turbulentnom techenii zhidkosti v trubakh [On the question of heat transfer in turbulent fluid flow in pipes]. Teploenergetika – Thermal Engineering, 1958, no. 4, pp. 63–68.
Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constants, 2021, issue 4, 4:8