Authors & Affiliations
Shlepkin A.S., Morozov A.V.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Morozov A.V. – Leading Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Techn.).
The article presents an overview of works on the experimental and computational study of the processes of heat removal from heated surfaces using a water-air mixture. A sharp increase in the heat transfer coefficient is shown even when adding water with a mass content of 0.1 % to the air flow. The factors that determine the efficiency of the heat exchange process are listed: the shape of the water spray jet, the distance from the outlet point of the water-air flow to the heat exchange surface, the characteristics of the heat exchange surface, the method of jet formation, the size of droplets and the location of the outlet points of the gas-droplet flow. The weak applicability of the data available in the literature is shown for calculating the cooling of finned tubes of industrial heat exchangers using a water-air mixture. It is substantiated that in order to establish the most optimal cooling modes for each for a separate heat exchange surface, it is necessary to conduct experimental studies, due to the complexity of heat transfer processes and the presence of a large number of influencing factors. It is shown that the finned tubes of heat exchangers of the passive heat removal system of WWER-1200 have a number of important features that affect the efficiency of their cooling using a water-air mixture. An experimental setup has been developed and a technique has been proposed for performing experiments to study these processes as applied to heat exchangers of a passive WWER safety system.
water aerosol, air-water-mixture, combined cooling, heat exchangers, heat exchange, finned tubes, modifying surfaces
- Abed A.N., Shcheklein S.E., Pahaluev V.M. Intensifikaciya teploobmena vozdushnyh teploobmennikov avarijnogo raskholazhivaniya i suhih gradiren AES s ispol'zovaniem vodovozdushnogo aerozolya (tumana) [Intensification of heat exchange of air heat exchangers for emergency cooling and dry cooling towers of NPP using water-air aerosol (fog)]. Trudy XV Mezhdunarodnoy konferentsii “Bezopasnost' AES i podgotovka kadrov” [Proc. of the XV Int. Conf. “NPP Safety and Training”]. 2018, pp. 16–27.
- Yuting Jiang, Qun Zheng, Ping Dong, Jianhui Yao, Hai Zhang, Jie Gao. Conjugate heat transfer analysis of leading edge and downstream mist-air film cooling on turbine vane. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2015, vol. 90, pp. 613–626. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2015.07.005.
- Yan Hou, Yujia Tao, Xiulan Huai, Yu Zou, Dongliang Sun. Numerical simulation of multi-nozzle spray cooling heat transfer. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2018, vol. 125, pp. 81–88. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2017.11.011.
- Pahomov M.A., Terekhov V.I. Enhancement of turbulent heat transfer during interaction of an impinging axisymmetric mist jet with a target. Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, 2011, vol. 52, pp. 96–106. doi.org/10.1134/S0021894411010135.
- Agnieszka Cebo-Rudnicka, Zbigniew Malinowski, Andrzej Buczek. The influence of selected parameters of spray cooling and thermal conductivity on heat transfer coefficient. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2016, vol. 110, pp. 52–64. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2016.06.031.
- Zhou Nianyong, Chen Fujiang, Cao Yuchun, Chen Mengmeng, Wang Yu. Experimental investigation on the performance of a water spray cooling system. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2017, vol. 112, p. 1117–1128. doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.10.191.
- Niru Kumari, Vaibhav Bahadur, Marc Hodes, Todd Salamon, Paul Kolodner, Alan Lyons, Suresh V Garimella. Analysis of evaporating mist flow for enhanced convective heat transfer. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2010, vol. 53, issue 15–16, pp. 3346–3356. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.02.027.
- Xie J.L., Tan Y.B., Duan F., Ranjith K., Wong T.N., Toh K.C., Choo K.F., Chan P.K.. Study of heat transfer enhancement for structured surfaces in spray cooling. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2013, vol. 59, issue 1–2, pp. 464–472. doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2013.05.047.
- Nazarov A.D., Serov A.F., Terekhov V.I. Vliyanie rezhima formirovaniya kapel'noj fazy impul'snogo aerozolya na teploobmen [Influence of the regime of formation of the droplet phase of a pulsed aerosol on heat transfer]. Trudy mezhdunarodnogo nauchnogo kongressa “Interekspo Geo-Sibir'”.[Proc. of the Int. Sci. Congress “Interexpo Geo-Siberia”]. Novosibirsk, 2014, vol. 5, p. 239.
- Quinn C., Murray D.B., Persoons T. Heat transfer behaviour of a dilute impinging air-water mist jet at low wall temperatures. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2017, no. 111, p. 1234–1249. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.04.098.
- Malinowski Z., Cebo-Rudnicka A., Telejko T., Hadała B., Szajding A. Inverse method implementation to heat transfer coefficient determination over the plate cooled by water spray. Inverse Probl. Sci. Eng., 2015, vol. 23, issue 3, pp. 518–556. doi.org/10.1080/17415977.2014.923417.
- Shanno D.F. Conditioning of quasi-Newton methods for function minimization. Math. Comput., 1970, vol. 24, no. 111, pp. 647–656.
- Liu C.-S. Optimal algorithms and the BFGS updating techniques for solving unconstrained nonlinear minimization problems. J. Appl. Math, 2014, vol. 1, Article ID 324181. doi.org/10.1155/2014/324181.
- Quinn C., Murray D.B., Persoons T. The effect of liquid mass flow rate on heat transfer for an air-water atomizing mist jet. Proc. of the 15th International Heat Transfer Conference, IHTC-15, 2014, pp. 1.
- Li X.C., Zhou J., Aung K. On selection of reference temperature of heat transfer coefficient for complicated flows. Heat Mass Transf., 2009, vol. 45, pp. 633–643.
- Garbero M., Vanni M., Fritsching U. Gas/surface heat transfer in spray deposition processes. Intern. J. Heat Fluid Flow, 2006, vol. 27, pp. 105–122. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatfluidflow.2005.04.003.
- Lacour S.O.L., Trinquet F., Vendee P.E., Vallet A., Delahaye A., Fournaison L. Assessment of the wet area of a heat exchanger exposed to a water spray. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2018, vol. 128, pp. 434–443. doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.09.030.
- Chakraborty S., Rosen M.A., MacDonald B.D. Analysis and feasibility of an evaporative cooling system with diffusion-based sessile droplet evaporation for cooling microprocessors. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2017, vol. 125, pp. 104–110. doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.07.006.