Authors & Affiliations
Matyukhin N.M., Sorokin A.P., Denisova N.A.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Matyukhin N.M. – Senior Researcher.
Denisova N.A. – Lead Engineer.
As a result of the processing and analysis of experimental data on natural convection of coolants for various forms of heat-transfer surfaces of in-reactor structures, a relation for the velocity profile along the normal to the heat exchange surface under conditions of natural turbulent convection in the coolant flow was proposed. By the example of a vertical isothermal surface, it is shown that for different values of the longitudinal coordinate there is a characteristic point at which the longitudinal velocity reaches its maximum value (umax) at the corresponding value of the transverse coordinate (ymax). This point divides the fluid flow along the heat exchange surface into two zones: an internal one adjacent to the wall and an external one located beyond the maximum value of the velocity. Taking for the characteristic scale umax and ymax and presenting experimental data in dimensionless form u/umax=f(y/ymax), generalization of experimental data obtained. The results of processing the experimental data of various authors are well generalized by the dependences obtained in the work for the velocity profile in the inner and outer zones of the coolant flow. The velocity profile at the horizontal, downward-facing heat transfer surface is characterized by the same regularities as for the vertical surface: the velocity in the near-wall region increases, reaches a maximum and then decreases.
The results of processing the measured velocity profile for a horizontal cylinder according to the method proposed in the work show agreement with the generalized data for a vertical isothermal surface. The data of experimental studies of the velocity field around an isothermally heated sphere with free convection in water are also well generalized by the dependences proposed in this work. The analysis of the experimental data on the velocity profiles for various forms of heat-transfer surfaces under conditions of natural turbulent convection, carried out by the authors, shows that the velocity profile proposed by the authors along the normal to the heat exchange surface has a universal character.
nuclear reactor, heat exchange surface, experiment, velocity profile, near-wall region, normal to the surface, natural turbulent convection, scale, data generalization
Article Text (PDF, in Russian)
- Eckert E.R., Drake R.M. Heat and Mass Transfer. London, McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. Ltd., 1959.530 p.
- Cheesewright R. Turbulent natural convection from a plane vertical surface. Journal of Heat Transfer, 1968, vol. 90, no. 1 pp. 1–8.
- Eckert E.R.G. and Jackson T.W. Analysis of Turbulent Free-Convection Boundary Layer on Flat Plate. NACA TN 2207, 1950.
- Matyukhin N.M., Sorokin A.P. Profili skorosti i temperatury pri yestestvennoy konvektsii (obobshcheniye eksperimental'nykh dannykh) [Velocity and Temperature Profiles under Natural Convection (Generalization of Experimental Data)]. Trudy chetvortoy Rossiyskoy natsional'noy konferentsii po teploobmenu [Proceedings of the 4th Russian National Conference on Heat Transfer]. Moscow, MEI Publ., 2006, vol. 3, p. 137.
- Griffiths E. and Davis A.H. The Transmission of Heat by Radiation and Convection. British Food Investigation Board Special Report 9. DSIR, London, 1922.
- Schmidt E., Beckman W. Das Temperatur-und-Geschwindikeits feld vor liner Wärme abgebenden Senkrechten Platte bei natürlicher Konvektion. Forschg. Ind. – Wes., 1930, Bd. 1, No.10, S. 341.
- Matyukhin N.M., Sorokin A.P. Nestatsionarnaya yestestvennaya konvektsiya i problemy modelirovaniya usloviy avariynogo raskholazhivaniya YAEU [Non-stationary natural convection and problems of modeling the conditions of accident cooling of a nuclear power plant]. Trudy tret'yey Rossiyskoy natsional'noy konferentsii po teploobmenu [Proceedings of the Third Russian National Conference on Heat Transfer]. Moscow, 2002. Moscow, MEI Publ., 2002, vol. 3, p. 108.
- Cairnie L.R., Harrison A.J. Natural Convection Adjacent to a Vertical isothermal hot Plate with a high surface-to-ambient temperature difference. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1982, vol. 25, no. 7, p. 925.
- Ostrach S. An analysis of Laminar Free Convection Flow and Heat Transfer about a Flat Plate parallel to the Direction of the Generating Body Force. NACA Technical Note 2635, 1952.
- Vliet G.C., Liu C.K. An Experimental Study of Turbulent Natural Convection Boundary Layers. J. Heat Transfer, 1969, vol. 91, issue 4, pp. 517–531. doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3580236.
- Aihara T., Yamada Y., Endŏ S. Free Convection along the Downward – Facing Surface of a Heated horizontal Plate. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1972, vol. 15, p. 2535.
- Singh S.N., Birkebak R.C. Laminar Free Convection from a horizontal infinite strip Facing Downwards. ZAMP 20, 1969, pp. 454–461.
- Aihara T., Saito E. Measurement of Free Convection Velocity Field around the Periphery of a Horizontal Torus. J. Heat Transfer, 1972, vol. 94, issue 1, pp. 95–98. doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3449879.
- Ostrach S. An analysis of Laminar Free Convection Flow and Heat Transfer around a Flat Plate parallel to the Direction of the Generating Body Force. NACA Report No. 1111, 1953.
- Akagi S. The effect of Curvature on Free Convection around a Horizontal Cylinder. Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1965, vol. 31, pp. 1327–1335.
- Waynes Amato and Chi Tien. Free Convection Heat Transfer from Izotermal Spheres in Water. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1972, vol. 15, pp. 327–339.
Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constants, 2021, issue 4, 4:18