Authors & Affiliations
Boev A.V., Varivtcev A.V., Poglyad N.S.
JSC “State Scientific Center – Research Institute of Atomic Reactors”, Dimitrovgrad, Russia
Boev A.V. – Junior Researcher, JSC “State Scientific Center – Research Institute of Atomic Reactors”.
Varivtcev A.V. – Senior Researcher, JSC “State Scientific Center – Research Institute of Atomic Reactors”. Contacts: 9, Zapadnoye Shosse, Dimitrovgrad, Ulyanovsk region, 433510. Tel.: +7(902)123-02-50; e-mail:
Poglyad N.S. – Senior Researcher, JSC “State Scientific Center – Research Institute of Atomic Reactors”.
One of the most important tasks for promising material tests in research reactors is providing of required temperature conditions. Rigs intended to provide required temperatures are developed with use of data, calculated with modern CFD-codes. As a rule, due to limited PC’s computational power, the only irradiation rig (IR) is modelled and all the surrounding core FAs are replaced by boundary conditions. This approach allows to use detailed mesh for IR and its’ parts. However, boundary conditions at the IR surface are not well-known because of IR effect on temperatures and heat flows at the IR surface. So, boundary conditions add some uncertainty to calculations results. Authors proposed alternative approach: modelling of reactor polycells including IR and surrounding FAs. Thermal calculations of the BOR-60 IR with a fuel heater has been done. Polycell configuration and power characteristics of surrounding FAs has been variated. It is shown that the difference between calculated and experimental results is less than calculation error.
heat-exchange, temperature, coolant, flow rate, power, thermocouple, boundary conditions
1. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu., Kozolup A.N., Poglyad N.S., Vostretsov D.Ya. Raschetno-eksperimental'nye issledovaniya v obosnovanie temperaturnykh usloviy oblucheniya konstruktsionnykh materialov v reaktore BOR-60 [Calculation and experimental studies in support of the temperature conditions of irradiation of structural materials in the BOR-60 reactor]. Izvestiya Samarskogo nauchnogo tsentra Rossiyskoy akademii nauk - Izvestiya of the Samara Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2012, vol. 14, no.4(4), pp. 990-995.
2. Eremin S.G., Zhemkov I.Yu., Plotnikov A.I. Ustroystvo s tvel'nym podogrevom teplonositelya dlya oblucheniya materialov v yadernom reaktore [Device with fuel-heated heating medium for irradiating materials in a nuclear reactor]. Patent RF, no. 2524683, 2013.
3. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu., Boev A.V., Ishunina O.V., Naboyshchikov Yu.V., Poglyad N.S., Sharonova M.G. Computational and experimental study of an irradiation rig with a fuel heater for the BOR-60 reactor. Nuclear Energy and Technology, 2016, no. 2, pp. 126–131.
4. Gomin E., Maiorov L. The MCU Monte Carlo Code for 3D Depletion Calculation. Proc. Int. Conf. Madrid, 1999, vol. 2.
5. Varivtsev A.V., Zhemkov I.Yu. Improved Method for Calculating the Radiation Heat Generation in the BOR-60 Reactor. Physics of Atomic Nuclei, 2014, vol.77, no. 14, pp. 1664–1670.
6. Shalumov A.S., Vachenko A.S., Fadeev O.A., Bagaev D.V. Vvedenie v ANSYS. Prochnostnoy i teplovoy analiz [Introduction to ANSYS. Strength and thermal analysis]. Kovrov, KGTA Publ., 2008.