Authors & Affiliations
Kuzina Ju.A., Arnoldov M.N., Orlov Yu.I., Sorokin A.P.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Arnoldov M.N. – Chief Researcher of Nuclear Energy Department, Dr. Sci. (Techn.), Professor.
Orlov Yu.I. – Chief Researcher of Nuclear Energy Department, Dr. Sci. (Techn.), Professo.
Sorokin A.P. – Chief Researcher of Nuclear Energy Department, Dr. Sci. (Techn.).
The article presents the main research results of thermal physicists of the IPPE from its inception to the present time. Research results in the areas of heat and mass transfer and hydrodynamics of coolants (liquid metals, water), physical chemistry and technology of liquid metal coolants for nuclear power plants for various purposes (nuclear power plants, nuclear submarines, space nuclear power plants), development codes, innovative projects, non-nuclear technologies for the use of liquid metals, heat pipes, analysis and generalization of thermophysical data are considered in the article. As a result of a large complex of experimental and computational studies, the fundamental physicochemical and thermohydraulic regularities of the coolant – impurities – structural materials – protective gas have been studied, scientific foundations have been created for the use of liquid metal coolants in nuclear power. Studies have been carried out to substantiate the technical and economic characteristics of nuclear fuel for operating, under construction and future NPPs of VVER RP, design solutions for passive safety, technical solutions and hydrogen safety devices, heat removal from the reactor through a steam generator and PHRS in case of beyond design basis accidents. As well as design solutions and safety for NPP designs with BN-1200 reactor with sodium coolant, BREST-OD-300 reactor with lead coolant, SVBR-100 reactor with lead-bismuth alloy, MBIR research reactor. The results of these studies made it possible, together with institutes and design organizations, to scientifically substantiate thermal-hydraulic parameters and highly efficient technological processes, develop and practically implement devices and systems that ensure the successful operation of fundamentally new nuclear power plants cooled by water and liquid metals, with original scientific and technical solutions that had no analogue in world practice. R&D works were carried out to substantiate the innovative project VVER with supercritical pressure, the concept of an electro-nuclear subcritical blanket based on the modular principle of constructing an core with liquid-salt melts of fissile materials, studies of thermal hydraulics, mass transfer of high-temperature sodium and the development of a combined coolant purification system to justify the BN-HT reactor with temperature sodium ~900 °С for hydrogen production. The directions of investigations at the present stage are discussed.
nuclear power, fast reactors, light water reactors, thermophysical investigations, experimental stands, computational codes, thermal hydraulics, liquid metal coolant technology, innovative projects
- Rachkov V.I., Arnol'dov M.N., Efanov A.D., Kalyakin S.G., Kozlov F.A., Loginov N.I., Orlov Y.I., Sorokin A.P. Use of liquid metals in nuclear and thermonuclear engineering, and in other innovative technology. Thermal Engineering, 2014, no. 5, pp. 337–347.
- Kuzina Ju.A., Sorokin A.P. Teplofizika shchelochnykh zhidkikh metallov. Chast' 1: teplogidravlika i bezopasnost' (retrospektivno-perspektivnyy vzglyad) [Thermal physics of alkali liquid metals. Part 1: thermal hydraulics and safety (retrospective perspective view)]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Reactor Constants, 2019, no. 3, pp. 210–232. Available at: https://vant.ippe.ru/en/year2019/3/thermal-physics-hydrodynamics/1787-19.html (accessed 26.04.2021).
- Kuzina Ju.A., Sorokin A.P. Teplofizika shchelochnykh zhidkikh metallov. Chast' 2: tekhnologiya i innovatsionnye prilozheniya (retrospektivno-perspektivnyy vzglyad) [Thermal physics of alkali liquid metals. Part 2: technology and innovative applications (retrospective perspective view)]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Reactor Constants, 2019, no. 3, pp. 233–251. Available at: https://vant.ippe.ru/en/year2019/3/thermal-physics-hydrodynamics/1788-20.html (accessed 26.04.2021).
- Sorokin A.P., Kuzina Ju.A., Trufanov A.A., Kamaev A.A., Orlov Yu.I., Alekseev V.V., Grabezhnaya V.A., Zagorulko Yu.I. The Chellenging Thermophysical Issues of Fast Reactors. Thermal Engineering, 2018, vol. 65, no. 10, pp. 725–733.
- Sorokin A.P., Kuzina Ju. A., Trufanov A.A., Loschinin V.M., Levchenko Yu.D., Morozov A.V. Topical Problems Concerned with the Thermophysical Characteristics of New-Generation Light Water Reactors: Comprehensive Study Results. Thermal Engineering, 2019, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 235–242.
- Materialy po istorii rabot po teplofizike v Fiziko-energeticheskom institute [Materials on the history of work on thermal physics at the Institute of Physics and Power Engineering]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 2014. 176 p.
- Pershukov V.А., Arkhangelsky N.V., Kononov O.E., Sorokin A.P. Teplofizicheskaya stendovaya baza atomnoy energetiki Rossii i Kazakhstana [Thermophysical stand base of nuclear energy in Russia and Kazakhstan]. Sarov, FSUE “RFNC-VNNIIEF” Publ., 2016. 160 p.
- Sorokin A.P., Kuzina Ju.A. Physical modeling of hydrodynamic and heat transfer process in NPP with liquid metal cooling. Thermal Engineering, 2019, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 533–542.
- LMFR core and heat exchanger thermohydraulic design: Former USSR and present Russian approaches. Vienna, IAEA, 1999. 305 p. IAEA-TECDOC-1060.
- Rachkov V.I., Sorokin A.P., Zhukov A.V. Teplogidravlicheskie issledovaniya zhidkometallicheskikh teplonositeley v yadernykh energeticheskikh ustanovkakh [Thermal-hydraulic research of liquid metal coolants in nuclear power plants]. Teplofizika vysokikh temperatur – High Temperature Thermal Physics, 2017, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 121–136.
- Gabrianovich B.N., Delnov V.N. Osobennosti gidrodinamiki protochnykh chastey kollektornykh sistem teploobmennikov i reaktorov YaEU [Features of the hydrodynamics of the flow parts of the collector systems of heat exchangers and reactors of nuclear power plants]. Sarov, FSUE “RFNC-VNNIIEF” Publ., 2016.
- Sorokin A.P., Kuzina Ju.A., Ivanov E.F. Features of heat exchange boiling of liquid metal in emergency regimes in fuel assemblies of fast reactors. Atomic Energy, 2019, vol. 126, issue 2, pp. 69–76.
- Frolov K.V., Makhutov N.A., Kaplunov S.M., Smirnov L.V., Fedotovsky V.S. et al. Dinamika konstruktsiy gidroaerouprugikh system [Dynamics of constructions of hydroaeroelastic systems]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2002.
- Kozlov F.A., Sorokin A.P., Konovalov M.A. Sodium purification systems for nuclear power plants with fast reactors (retrospectively-perspective view). Izvestiya vuzov. Nuclear energy, 2015, no. 3, pp. 5–19.
- Askhadullin R.Sh., Gulevsky V.A., Ivanov K.D., Legkikh A.Yu., Melnikov V.P., Orlov Yu.I., Posazhennikov A.M., Ulyanov V.V., Yagodkin I.V. Analiz sovremennogo sostoyaniya rabot po tekhnologii tyazhelykh zhidkometallicheskikh teplonositeley (Pb, Pb-Bi). Teplofizika: sbornik statey k 65-letiyu sozdaniya Teplofizicheskogo otdela FEI [Analysis of the current state of work on the technology of heavy liquid metal coolants (Pb, Pb-Bi). Thermophysics: a collection of articles dedicated to the 65th anniversary of the creation of the Thermophysical Department of IPPE]. Obninsk, IPPE, 2019. Pp. 95–104.
- Grabezhnay V.A., Kalyakin S.G., Mikheev A.S., Sorokin A.P. Testing the steam generator model with helical coiled lead-heated tubes. Thermal Engineering, 2014, no. 61, pp. 777–784.
- Kuznetsov I.A., Poplavsky V.M. Bezopasnost' AES s reaktorami na bystrykh neytronakh [Safety of NPPs with Fast Breeder Reactors]. Moscow, IzdAT Publ., 2012. 631 p.
- Kalyakin S.G., Kozlov F.A., Sorokin A.P., Alekseev V.V., Bogoslovskaya G.P., Ivanov A.P., Konovalov M.A., Morozov A.V., Orlova E.A., Stogov V.Yu. High-temperature nuclear energy technology based on sodium-cooled fast reactors for hydrogen production. Atomic Energy, 2014, vol. 116, pp. 241–251.
- Sorokin A.P., Kirillov P.L., Kuzina Ju.A., Grabezhnaya V.A., Loshchinin V.M. Issledovaniya teploobmena v puchkakh tvelov pri sverkhkriticheskom davlenii vody [Investigation of heat transfer in bundles of fuel elements at supercritical water pressure]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika reaktorov – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear Reactor Physics, 2020, no. 2, pp. 78–90.
- Rachkov V.I., Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh., Grigorov V.V., Loginov N.I., Melnikov V.P., Mikheev A.S., Portyanoy A.G., Serdun E.N., Sorokin A.P., Storozhenko A.N., Ulyanov V.V., Yagodkin I.V. Innovatsionnye tekhnologii, razvivaemye v GNTs RF – FEI [Innovative technologies developed at the State Scientific Center of the Russian Federation – IPPE]. Izvestiya vuzov. Nuclear energy, 2014, no. 1, pp. 16–38.