Egorov A.S., Gremyachkin D.E., Piksaikin V.M., Goverdovski A.A., Mitrofanov K.V.,
A.I. Leypunsky Institute of Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Egorov A.S. – Senior Researcher.
Piksaikin V.M. – Leading Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Phys.-Math.).
Goverdovski A.A. – Chief Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Phys.-Math.).
Mitrofanov K.V. – Senior Researcher.
Mitrofanov V.F. – Senior Researcher.
In the present work delayed neutron registration technique have been applied to the issue of oxygen content definition in the samples of the known mass and morphology. For this purpose the set up have been assembled on the neutron physical research channel of Tandem-3M accelerator of IPPE which consists of the charged particles beam deflection system, integrator of the current of charged particles hitting the neutron generating target, primary neutron beam monitor, spectrometer of primary neutrons, pneumatic transport system of the samples under investigation, 4π-detector of neutrons, constructed on the base of helium-3 filled proportional counters and experiment control system. Oxygen content have been determined using comparative analysis of the measurement results of the temporal dependences of delayed neutron intensity after irradiation of the control sample and investigated samples in the fast neutron flux generated in the Li(d,n) reaction from infinitely thick lithium target. Experimental procedure due to the temporary nature of delayed neutron emission phenomenon have been consisted in the carrying out the cyclic consequence of the stages of sample irradiation by neutrons generated from the target, sample movement to the neutron detector and the measurement of the temporal dependence of delayed neutron intensity.
oxygen content, fast neutrons, delayed neutrons, 4π-neutron detector, time dependence of neutron detector performance recovery
1. Mitrofanov K.V., Piksaikin V.M., Egorov A.S., Samylin B.F. Registration of gamma-rays from the reaction 16O(n,p)16N on the direct neutron beam of cascade generator KG-2.5. Proc. of the 24th Russian Particle Accelerator Conference. RuPAC 2014. Obninsk, 2014, pp. 203–205.
2. McKlveen J.W. Fast neutron activation analysis. Elemental database. Ann Arbor Science publishers, Inc., 1981.
3. Piksaikin V.M., Isaev S.G. Correlation Properties of Delayed Neutrons from Fast Neutron induced Fission. Report MDC(CCP)-415, IAEA, Vienna, Austria, 1998.
4. Piksaikin V.M., Isaev S.G., Goverdovski A.A. Characteristics of delayed neutrons: systematics and correlation properties. Prog. Nucl. Energy, 2002, vol. 41 (1–4), pp. 361–384.
5. Keepin G.R., Wimett T.F., Zeigler R.K. Delayed Neutrons from Fissionable Isotopes of Uranium, Plutonium and Thorium. J. Nucl. Energy, 1957, vol. 6, pp. 1–21.
6. Loaiza D.J., Brunson G., Sanchez R. and Butterfield K. Measurements of Absolute Delayed Neutron Yield and Group Constants in the Fast Fission of 235U and 237Np. Nucl. Sci. Eng., 1998, vol. 128, p. 270–277.
7. Saleh H.H., Parish T.A., Raman S. and Shinohara N. Measurements of delayed-neutron decay constants and fission yields from 235U, 237Np, 241Am and 243Am. Nucl. Sci. Eng., 1997, vol. 125, p. 51.
8. Brown D.A., Chadwick M.B., Capote R., et al. ENDF/B-VIII.0: The 8th Major Release of the Nuclear Reaction Data Library with CIELO-project Cross Sections, New Standards and Thermal Scattering Data. Nucl. Data Sheets, 2018, vol. 148, pp. 1–142. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nds.2018.02.001.
9. Piksaikin V.M., Kazakov L.E., Isaev S.G., Tarasko M.Z., Roshchenko V.A., Tertytchnyi R.G., Spriggs G.D., Campbell J.M. Energy dependence of relative abundances and periods of delayed neutrons from neutron-induced fission of 235U, 238U, 239Pu in 6- and 8-group model representation. Progress in nuclear energy, 2002, vol. 41, no. 1–4, pp. 203–222.